Qacer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I just got a new motherboard. According to the system temperature reading both hardware and software, it is hot. Software says 49.6 Celcius. The BIOS temp says 72 Celcius.

I have an AMD K6-2 333mhz @ 66mhz. However, the motherboard manual recommends using 2.2V, 95mhz FSB for K6-2 333mhz .. so I just left it there.. Right now I have a Radio Shack fan cooling the CPU. If I get a super powerful CPU fan, will that lower my system temperature and is it enough? Or do I have to do other cooling methods to cool other devices?

Thanks...

--sign here--
"I used Thevenin to simplify my motherboard's circuits."
--by me--

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i'm sure that radio shack fans suck, probably not even a ball bearing fan (which would make it prone to failure more quickly)....get a better heat sink/fan and it'll be ok.

G

Everybody seems to say that the Golden Orb fans work really well, so Id get a couple of them, make sure you install them correctly

Qacer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for the tip! I checked out Thermal Take's website and found some info. However, they do not seem to have any Socket 7 ones. Will I be able to use Golden Orb fans designed for Socket 370 chips instead?

I'm sorry.. I don't know much...

--sign here--
"I used Thevenin to simplify my motherboard's circuits."
--by me--

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, but ALL ORBS SUCK! Just to let you know. You'd probably be just as well off with a bigger cheap fan-the FOP32 from Globalwin waste the Orb, and the FOP38 waste the Super Orb. But for cooloing your CPU the FOP32 is more than enough, same price as the Orb. Hell, even the stock PIII-933 OEM fan works better than the standard orb. Besides, Orbs weigh a lot, making it easier to damage your board when moving the PC, and the Super Orb is so heavy-like a disaster waiting to happen. The only people who buy Orbs do it because they LOOK cool, and it's easy to get fooled by looks.

Suicide is painless...........

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
>>Yes, but ALL ORBS SUCK!
That's a bold statement, not that I disagree with you, they do look pretty...

- "I forgot my shirt, but I had body glitter."

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'd agree, i built a system for my friend and he wanted the chrome orb fan cause he heard thought it looked cool....

heh, i just laugh as his temp is 44C idle tb800 A7V as my system with a GW FOP38 was 28C idle, tb800@950 A7V

and all the other parts were identical and comp's were built at the same time.

But the chrome is better than a radio shack fan...heh

TRENDING THREADS