Random Lockup with ASUS CUSL2

G

Howdy,

I upgraded my old system (300A, Abit BX6) to an Asus CUSL2 and a 866MHz PIII. Every now and again the system will just lock up. I have run a couple of diagnostic programs, such as Burnin, Gold Memory...my system passed these tests. It doesn't seem to be the normal lockup, but the screen goes blank and the computer becomes unresponsive. It has done it 3 times...twice with AoE2 and once after my wife used Netscape. I have been monitoring the temp of my CPU..the maximum I have seen is 33 C or 91 F. I dl'd the lasted drivers for my SB Live and Hercules GeForce2 MX card. I have come to the limit of my knowledge..so if anyone has some suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Bryan

System
Asus CUSL2 Bios 1003
PIII 866MHz
256MB RAM (2 sticks of 128)
Seagate Baracuda 20Gig 7200rpm ATA 66 Drive (on IDE 1)
Kenwood TrueX 62 CDROM
SB Live Value
Hercules GeForce2 MX
3COM Nic (came with my ADSL hookup)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Maybe it's your memory, maybe it's software glitches. Since your using two sticks of RAM, I'd suggest trying each one separately. Go to cusl2.com and ask them also-never seen a problem like this, it actually sounds like software.

Suicide is painless...........

G

It could have something to do with your power settings. Do you have it set to go into standby mode after a certain time? Or power down your Hard disk after a certain time? Sometimes video drivers, certain programs, Bios settings, etc can cause systems to be unable to resume from a suspended mode

G

I dont think it has do with a setting in my power settings, b/c I disabled all of that in the bios and in Win98SE. Currently I think it has something to do with the temp/voltage/fan monitoring. The problem discussed in the following URL sounds just like my problem.

http://www.cusl2.com/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.cgi?action=Read&BID=32&TID=4558&SID=

Dingo