Can't play DVD on Pavilion dv1154

Hi all!
Very quick question indeed? Has anyone experienced issues with playing DVDs
on
the pavilion dv1154 laptop?
Both WinDVD (which comes bundled with the laptop) and Windows Media Player
fail to play DVD correctly: either they stuck while the dvd player keep
spinning, or the movie cannot be played correctly (e.g., it stops after a
few seconds).
I'm not sure whether that is a hardware or software issue, and I would be
grateful to whoever can help me out with this.

Kind regards,
Nicola
6 answers Last reply
More about play pavilion dv1154

    In my experience Nicola, this has always been a laser in the DVD player
    going bad. DVD drives have two of them. One for CD and one for DVD. And
    when one goes flaky, they can't read one or the other well or not at all.

    It could be something else, like DMA turned on when it isn't supported
    for the player. Corrupted WinDVD install, etc.

    Cheers!

    Bill (using a HP AMD 1.2GHZ & Windows 2000)
    -- written and edited within Word 2000

    >In my experience Nicola, this has always been a laser in the DVD player
    >going bad. DVD drives have two of them. One for CD and one for DVD. And
    >when one goes flaky, they can't read one or the other well or not at all.

    Indeed, this is my same thought... But before complaining that a laptop
    right of the box has a bad dvd drive, I would like to explore all
    possibilities.
    Furthermore, it happens that sometimes it does play DVD, and that's why I
    was oriented to a software issue more than hardware...

    >It could be something else, like DMA turned on when it isn't supported
    >for the player. Corrupted WinDVD install, etc.

    do you think it should be turned OFF? I thought it should be on...
    Default settings say "Use DMA if available", should I turn that off?

    Nicola

    Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 21:25:58 GMT

    >In my experience Nicola, this has always been a laser in the DVD player
    >going bad. DVD drives have two of them. One for CD and one for DVD. And
    >when one goes flaky, they can't read one or the other well or not at
    >all.

    Indeed, this is my same thought... But before complaining that a
    laptop right of the box has a bad dvd drive, I would like to
    explore all possibilities.

    Furthermore, it happens that sometimes it does play DVD, and that's
    why I was oriented to a software issue more than hardware...

    Yes a small number of brand new lasers fail very soon. So knowing that
    this is new doesn't surprise me a bit. It would be nice if they tested
    each laser for 50 hours or so (as the flaky ones usually fail within 50
    hours). But they don't.

    >It could be something else, like DMA turned on when it isn't supported
    >for the player. Corrupted WinDVD install, etc.

    do you think it should be turned OFF? I thought it should be on...
    Default settings say "Use DMA if available", should I turn that
    off?

    If the hardware supports DMA, it computer doesn't have to work as hard.
    So it's better to be on, of course. Although for whatever reason like
    compatibility and things. It might not work too well. So turning DMA
    support off would be a quick test to make sure this isn't a problem.

    > Hi all!
    > Very quick question indeed? Has anyone experienced issues with playing
    > DVDs on
    > the pavilion dv1154 laptop?
    > Both WinDVD (which comes bundled with the laptop) and Windows Media Player
    > fail to play DVD correctly: either they stuck while the dvd player keep
    > spinning, or the movie cannot be played correctly (e.g., it stops after a
    > few seconds).
    > I'm not sure whether that is a hardware or software issue, and I would be
    > grateful to whoever can help me out with this.
    >
    > Kind regards,
    > Nicola

    I have a dv1156cl (an almost identical model)
    and have not had any problems with DVD play.

    The DVD drive however can be quite noisy when
    it spins up.

    dk

    Hi - I had a similar problem - was getting the following message - found
    problem to be Netmeeting - I had set Netmeeting to load at startup. With
    Netmeeting active - it disabled DVD playback on both Windows Media Player
    and InterVideo Win DVD4 - When I exited Netmeeting everything worked ok -
    Cheers Ray

    "Nicola" <thenetmaster512@(removethis)hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all!
    > Very quick question indeed? Has anyone experienced issues with playing
    > DVDs on
    > the pavilion dv1154 laptop?
    > Both WinDVD (which comes bundled with the laptop) and Windows Media Player
    > fail to play DVD correctly: either they stuck while the dvd player keep
    > spinning, or the movie cannot be played correctly (e.g., it stops after a
    > few seconds).
    > I'm not sure whether that is a hardware or software issue, and I would be
    > grateful to whoever can help me out with this.
    >
    > Kind regards,
    > Nicola

    >When I exited Netmeeting everything worked ok -

    Hi, and thanks for your response.
    I don't have Netmeeting loading at startup: the thing is, I encountered this
    problem right
    after getting the laptop out of the box...
    Could it be MSN messenger (or windows messenger) that loads at startup by
    default loading also netmeeting drivers?

    Kind regards, and many thanks!
    Nicola

Hewlett Packard Hardware Pavilion Computers