Lack of good tri mode phone choices?

Last response: in Network Providers
September 24, 2004 12:03:10 AM

Looking to switch over to verizon after the antenna on my v60t (att)
has broken one too many times. Have done a lot of research via
phonescoop and cnet. I want a small tri-mode phone with external
screen for caller id.

There is so much bad info out there.
- Once site says vx4000 is tri mode. called vwz and they say no.
- Called a vwz store and after explaining what i want the guy trys to
sell me on the sch610. not tri-mode
- Radio shack rep tells me the se47 is trimode. Nope, that is the
se44 which i don't think vwz offers.

The phone that seems to have everything i want is the vx4400 but that
has been discontinued since the beginning of the summer and i
confirmed with circuit city, vwz stores, a reseller, and radio shack
that no one still has it in stock.

I am about to just pay to fix the antenna (again) and wait for verizon
to offer something decent in a tri mode. Can anyone suggest a place to
get the vx4400 or something similar? I am in the new england area if
that helps.
Anonymous
September 24, 2004 12:27:40 AM

drewwid wrote:
> Looking to switch over to verizon after the antenna on my v60t (att)
> has broken one too many times. Have done a lot of research via
> phonescoop and cnet. I want a small tri-mode phone with external
> screen for caller id.
>
> There is so much bad info out there.
> - Once site says vx4000 is tri mode. called vwz and they say no.
> - Called a vwz store and after explaining what i want the guy trys to
> sell me on the sch610. not tri-mode
> - Radio shack rep tells me the se47 is trimode. Nope, that is the
> se44 which i don't think vwz offers.

What about the SCH A650 from Samsung?

September 24, 2004 2:23:02 AM

The replacement antenna should be the Motorola pull out flexible v60 series.
Accept no substitutes; at least I don't.

Unless you want a 270c which is quite dated (that's what I use), the v60 is
top on my list. As a fellow analog user, analog need is overated these
days.

"drewwid" <drewwid@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Looking to switch over to verizon after the antenna on my v60t (att)

September 24, 2004 11:01:09 AM

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 20:27:40 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
wrote:

>drewwid wrote:
>> Looking to switch over to verizon after the antenna on my v60t (att)
>> has broken one too many times. Have done a lot of research via
>> phonescoop and cnet. I want a small tri-mode phone with external
>> screen for caller id.
>>
>> There is so much bad info out there.
>> - Once site says vx4000 is tri mode. called vwz and they say no.
>> - Called a vwz store and after explaining what i want the guy trys to
>> sell me on the sch610. not tri-mode
>> - Radio shack rep tells me the se47 is trimode. Nope, that is the
>> se44 which i don't think vwz offers.
>
>What about the SCH A650 from Samsung?

no external caller id. this is the same issue with the vx3200
Anonymous
September 24, 2004 11:06:21 AM

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 22:23:02 -0700, "Kevin Carol Rubye & Tobye"
<rubyebbyrdNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

>The replacement antenna should be the Motorola pull out flexible v60 series.
>Accept no substitutes; at least I don't.

I am pretty much done with my v60. The antenna is the last straw. I
have also had problems with the phone needing to be rebooted due to
failed calls and it has gotten very touchy on recharging (cord needs
to be set just right to keep the charge going). My v60t has been
through a lot and maybe they have gotten better (i know the "t" is an
older model) but i can't use it with vwz and i am also done with att.

>Unless you want a 270c which is quite dated (that's what I use), the v60 is
>top on my list. As a fellow analog user, analog need is overated these
>days.

On the analog issue. I am in an area with great digital coverage but
when i travel a couple of times a year to the sticks i would like the
analog option. What worse time to have no connection than when you
are far from home and have car problems on a lonely rural highway. To
quote something i read here, "as long as they still make trimode
phones why wouldn't i buy one"?

>"drewwid" <drewwid@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Looking to switch over to verizon after the antenna on my v60t (att)

Anonymous
September 24, 2004 6:48:07 PM

"drewwid" <drewwid@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Looking to switch over to verizon after the antenna on my v60t (att)
> has broken one too many times. Have done a lot of research via
> phonescoop and cnet. I want a small tri-mode phone with external
> screen for caller id.
>
> There is so much bad info out there.
> - Once site says vx4000 is tri mode. called vwz and they say no.
> - Called a vwz store and after explaining what i want the guy trys to
> sell me on the sch610. not tri-mode
> - Radio shack rep tells me the se47 is trimode. Nope, that is the
> se44 which i don't think vwz offers.
>
> The phone that seems to have everything i want is the vx4400 but that
> has been discontinued since the beginning of the summer and i
> confirmed with circuit city, vwz stores, a reseller, and radio shack
> that no one still has it in stock.
>
> I am about to just pay to fix the antenna (again) and wait for verizon
> to offer something decent in a tri mode. Can anyone suggest a place to
> get the vx4400 or something similar? I am in the new england area if
> that helps.

How about buying a vx4400 at ebay? http://tinyurl.com/42j4f

Karen
http://scootgirl.com/
Anonymous
September 25, 2004 11:19:56 AM

"drewwid" <drewwid@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Looking to switch over to verizon after the antenna on my v60t (att)
> has broken one too many times. Have done a lot of research via
> phonescoop and cnet. I want a small tri-mode phone with external
> screen for caller id.
>
> There is so much bad info out there.
> - Once site says vx4000 is tri mode. called vwz and they say no.
> - Called a vwz store and after explaining what i want the guy trys to
> sell me on the sch610. not tri-mode
> - Radio shack rep tells me the se47 is trimode. Nope, that is the
> se44 which i don't think vwz offers.
>
> The phone that seems to have everything i want is the vx4400 but that
> has been discontinued since the beginning of the summer and i
> confirmed with circuit city, vwz stores, a reseller, and radio shack
> that no one still has it in stock.
>
> I am about to just pay to fix the antenna (again) and wait for verizon
> to offer something decent in a tri mode. Can anyone suggest a place to
> get the vx4400 or something similar? I am in the new england area if
> that helps.

Why don't you just get a v60s? With the fixed antenna (not extendable),
mine's never broken. Trimode. Easy transition.
I'll sell you my v60p :)  I think you can activate it withouth PTT, though
I'm not sure. Also in New England.

Rebecca
Anonymous
September 25, 2004 11:07:54 PM

On the reception front, the vx-4400 is no champion. The 4400 and 4500
both have weaker reception than any phone LG has made since tri-mode
became common (fyi 4500 is digonly). I use the 3200, with a sturdy
stub antenna. I have found that it gets just as good or better
reception than my v60c with extendable antenna, which i also broke
many times. The lack of external display took some getting used to,
but I have to open the phone to talk on it anyways so not a big deal.
Nokia 3589i also gets excellent reception if you get one before they
are discontinued and dont mind the form factor.
Anonymous
September 26, 2004 2:58:47 AM

"drewwid" <drewwid@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Looking to switch over to verizon after the antenna on my v60t (att)
> has broken one too many times. Have done a lot of research via
> phonescoop and cnet. I want a small tri-mode phone with external
> screen for caller id.
>
> There is so much bad info out there.
> - Once site says vx4000 is tri mode. called vwz and they say no.

MY VX4400 is a tri-mode. I'm on my 3rd one

> - Called a vwz store and after explaining what i want the guy trys to
> sell me on the sch610. not tri-mode
> - Radio shack rep tells me the se47 is trimode. Nope, that is the
> se44 which i don't think vwz offers.
>
> The phone that seems to have everything i want is the vx4400 but that
> has been discontinued since the beginning of the summer and i
> confirmed with circuit city, vwz stores, a reseller, and radio shack
> that no one still has it in stock.
>
> I am about to just pay to fix the antenna (again) and wait for verizon
> to offer something decent in a tri mode. Can anyone suggest a place to
> get the vx4400 or something similar? I am in the new england area if
> that helps.
Anonymous
September 26, 2004 3:15:36 AM

In article <HKm5d.2093594$6p.352920@news.easynews.com>,
"Roughrider50" <corkyf56@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > Looking to switch over to verizon after the antenna on my v60t (att)
> > has broken one too many times. Have done a lot of research via
> > phonescoop and cnet. I want a small tri-mode phone with external
> > screen for caller id.

My LG 510 worked well for me for years. I only got a new phone (Samsung
a670) because the battery finally died on me and it was cheaper to
upgrade with my new every 2 than to buy a new battery (I got 2 a670s for
free after my $100 credit and 2 $70 rebates).

Maybe you can get a second hand one of the LG 510s. Not as small as the
Samsung, but it's a tri-mode with outside caller ID display. No color
though.
Anonymous
September 26, 2004 8:17:32 AM

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 14:48:07 -0700, "scootgirl.com"
<duzfaq64@dslextreme.com> said in alt.cellular.verizon:

>How about buying a vx4400 at ebay? http://tinyurl.com/42j4f

Or, if you want full analog coverage (full power), a 7868? There are
a few available.
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 3:25:56 AM

Lack of all kinds of phones...not only tri mode buddy.

!