Wireless Woes

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
November 14, 2004 5:46:41 PM

People, I need your help... I have been trying to solve this problem for a
week, to no avail.

The players are: a Linksys WRT54G access point, a Dell Truemobile 1150, a
Buffalo PCI-to-PCMCIA adapter, a Compaq Presario laptop and an OEM desktop
(with a MSI-6570 motherboard).

The deal is that the Truemobile connects normally to the access point from
the laptop (Win XP Home) but it cannot even see the access point when
installed on the desktop (Win XP Pro)!

I know the access point works. I know the Truemobile works. I know the
adaptor works because I have tested it (with the same card and access point)
on another older desktop [a Pentium II with Win XP Pro (no comments please)]
:-). The Truemobile is recognized by the OS, so there are no
DisableISAToPCIRouting etc. problems, no yellow exclamation marks etc. All
hardware has the latest drivers and firmware. I have tried the Truemobile
drivers. I have tried the Orinoco drivers. I flashed the truemobile to
orinoco using the instructions found here
(http://yojimbo.kung-f00.com/1150/). I have posted in forums. I have cried
out "WHAT THE F*** ALREADY!" (in Greek) 10^N times. But the access point
remains stubbornly invisible from the desktop. Please help me!

--
Spyros N.

Runtime Error 6D at 417A:32CF: Incompetent User.

More about : wireless woes

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 14, 2004 5:46:42 PM

I suppose you tried a different pci slot?

"Spyros N." <dont@spam.me> wrote in message
> People, I need your help... I have been trying to solve this problem for a
> week, to no avail.
>
> The players are: a Linksys WRT54G access point, a Dell Truemobile 1150, a
> Buffalo PCI-to-PCMCIA adapter, a Compaq Presario laptop and an OEM desktop
> (with a MSI-6570 motherboard).
>
> The deal is that the Truemobile connects normally to the access point from
> the laptop (Win XP Home) but it cannot even see the access point when
> installed on the desktop (Win XP Pro)!
>
> I know the access point works. I know the Truemobile works. I know the
> adaptor works because I have tested it (with the same card and access
point)
> on another older desktop [a Pentium II with Win XP Pro (no comments
please)]
> :-). The Truemobile is recognized by the OS, so there are no
> DisableISAToPCIRouting etc. problems, no yellow exclamation marks etc. All
> hardware has the latest drivers and firmware. I have tried the Truemobile
> drivers. I have tried the Orinoco drivers. I flashed the truemobile to
> orinoco using the instructions found here
> (http://yojimbo.kung-f00.com/1150/). I have posted in forums. I have cried
> out "WHAT THE F*** ALREADY!" (in Greek) 10^N times. But the access point
> remains stubbornly invisible from the desktop. Please help me!
>
> --
> Spyros N.
>
> Runtime Error 6D at 417A:32CF: Incompetent User.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 15, 2004 1:03:59 AM

<head>
</head>
stated that "the Truemobile conects normally to the AP from the laptop,
but it cannot even see the AP when installed on the desktop".  Is this
correct?  If so, my question is this:  Isn't the Dell Truemobile 1150 a
wireless notebook card?  If so, what do you mean by saying that "it
cannot even see the AP when installed on the desktop?"  How do you
install a notebook card on a desktop?  Furthermore, what do you mean by
saying that the "AP remains stubbornly invisible from the desktop?"  Is
it not possible to access the AP via ethernet cable?</font><br>
<pre wrap="">People, I need your help... I have been trying to solve this problem for a

(<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://yojimbo.kung-f00.com/1150/">http://yojimbo.kung-f00.com/1150/&lt;/a>). I have posted in forums. I have cried
out "WHAT THE F*** ALREADY!" (in Greek) 10^N times. But the access point
remains stubbornly invisible from the desktop. Please help me!

</pre>
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 15, 2004 8:24:05 PM

Thanks Airhead. I've learned something new today. Thanks again.

Airhead wrote:
> Isn't the Dell Truemobile 1150 a wireless notebook card?
>
> Yes
>
> If so, what do you mean by saying that "it cannot even see the AP when
> installed on the desktop?" How do you install a notebook card on a
> desktop?
>
> The pci to pcmcia adapter allows you to use a pcmcia type card in a desktop.
>
> The pcmcia card fits into a pci card adapter..........all you do is plug
> it in and it dont work........or it does
>
> "Doug Jamal" <bishiv6AT@yahooDOT.com
> <mailto:bishiv6AT@yahooDOT.com>> wrote in message
> I'm just a tad bit confused. In your post, you stated that "the
> Truemobile conects normally to the AP from the laptop, but it cannot
> even see the AP when installed on the desktop". Is this correct?
> If so, my question is this: Isn't the Dell Truemobile 1150 a
> wireless notebook card? If so, what do you mean by saying that "it
> cannot even see the AP when installed on the desktop?" How do you
> install a notebook card on a desktop? Furthermore, what do you mean
> by saying that the "AP remains stubbornly invisible from the
> desktop?" Is it not possible to access the AP via ethernet cable?
>
> Spyros N. wrote:
>
>>People, I need your help... I have been trying to solve this problem for a
>>week, to no avail.
>>
>>The players are: a Linksys WRT54G access point, a Dell Truemobile 1150, a
>>Buffalo PCI-to-PCMCIA adapter, a Compaq Presario laptop and an OEM desktop
>>(with a MSI-6570 motherboard).
>>
>>The deal is that the Truemobile connects normally to the access point from
>>the laptop (Win XP Home) but it cannot even see the access point when
>>installed on the desktop (Win XP Pro)!
>>
>>I know the access point works. I know the Truemobile works. I know the
>>adaptor works because I have tested it (with the same card and access point)
>>on another older desktop [a Pentium II with Win XP Pro (no comments please)]
>>:-). The Truemobile is recognized by the OS, so there are no
>>DisableISAToPCIRouting etc. problems, no yellow exclamation marks etc. All
>>hardware has the latest drivers and firmware. I have tried the Truemobile
>>drivers. I have tried the Orinoco drivers. I flashed the truemobile to
>>orinoco using the instructions found here
>>(http://yojimbo.kung-f00.com/1150/). I have posted in forums. I have cried
>>out "WHAT THE F*** ALREADY!" (in Greek) 10^N times. But the access point
>>remains stubbornly invisible from the desktop. Please help me!

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 17, 2004 8:16:14 PM

"Airhead" <campbell@alliancecable.net> wrote in message
> I suppose you tried a different pci slot?

Yes, the 1st (near the AGP slot), the 3rd and the 5th... I even played around
with BIOS settings and IRQ reservations for specific pci slots. No luck.

:-/ After about a week, I'm more or less resigned to the fact that this
combination won't work on my machine. I've ordered a new wireless PCI card and I
guess I'll have to find another use for the adapter (perhaps on another
machine)...
Yet, just for the heck of it, I'd like to find out what's been causing the
problem.

--
Spyros N.

Runtime Error 6D at 417A:32CF: Incompetent User.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 17, 2004 8:20:56 PM

After Airhead's reply, my answer would be redundant; but for the record, yes, it
is possible to access the AP via ethernet, the AP works normally.

> [...]
I'm just a tad bit confused. In your post, you stated that "the Truemobile

!