Wireless Woes

People, I need your help... I have been trying to solve this problem for a
week, to no avail.

The players are: a Linksys WRT54G access point, a Dell Truemobile 1150, a
Buffalo PCI-to-PCMCIA adapter, a Compaq Presario laptop and an OEM desktop
(with a MSI-6570 motherboard).

The deal is that the Truemobile connects normally to the access point from
the laptop (Win XP Home) but it cannot even see the access point when
installed on the desktop (Win XP Pro)!

I know the access point works. I know the Truemobile works. I know the
adaptor works because I have tested it (with the same card and access point)
on another older desktop [a Pentium II with Win XP Pro (no comments please)]
:-). The Truemobile is recognized by the OS, so there are no
DisableISAToPCIRouting etc. problems, no yellow exclamation marks etc. All
hardware has the latest drivers and firmware. I have tried the Truemobile
drivers. I have tried the Orinoco drivers. I flashed the truemobile to
orinoco using the instructions found here
(http://yojimbo.kung-f00.com/1150/). I have posted in forums. I have cried
out "WHAT THE F*** ALREADY!" (in Greek) 10^N times. But the access point
remains stubbornly invisible from the desktop. Please help me!

--
Spyros N.

Runtime Error 6D at 417A:32CF: Incompetent User.
5 answers Last reply
More about wireless woes

    I suppose you tried a different pci slot?

    "Spyros N." <dont@spam.me> wrote in message
    > People, I need your help... I have been trying to solve this problem for a
    > week, to no avail.
    >
    > The players are: a Linksys WRT54G access point, a Dell Truemobile 1150, a
    > Buffalo PCI-to-PCMCIA adapter, a Compaq Presario laptop and an OEM desktop
    > (with a MSI-6570 motherboard).
    >
    > The deal is that the Truemobile connects normally to the access point from
    > the laptop (Win XP Home) but it cannot even see the access point when
    > installed on the desktop (Win XP Pro)!
    >
    > I know the access point works. I know the Truemobile works. I know the
    > adaptor works because I have tested it (with the same card and access
    point)
    > on another older desktop [a Pentium II with Win XP Pro (no comments
    please)]
    > :-). The Truemobile is recognized by the OS, so there are no
    > DisableISAToPCIRouting etc. problems, no yellow exclamation marks etc. All
    > hardware has the latest drivers and firmware. I have tried the Truemobile
    > drivers. I have tried the Orinoco drivers. I flashed the truemobile to
    > orinoco using the instructions found here
    > (http://yojimbo.kung-f00.com/1150/). I have posted in forums. I have cried
    > out "WHAT THE F*** ALREADY!" (in Greek) 10^N times. But the access point
    > remains stubbornly invisible from the desktop. Please help me!
    >
    > --
    > Spyros N.
    >
    > Runtime Error 6D at 417A:32CF: Incompetent User.

    <head>
    </head>
    stated that "the Truemobile conects normally to the AP from the laptop,
    but it cannot even see the AP when installed on the desktop".  Is this
    correct?  If so, my question is this:  Isn't the Dell Truemobile 1150 a
    wireless notebook card?  If so, what do you mean by saying that "it
    cannot even see the AP when installed on the desktop?"  How do you
    install a notebook card on a desktop?  Furthermore, what do you mean by
    saying that the "AP remains stubbornly invisible from the desktop?"  Is
    it not possible to access the AP via ethernet cable?</font><br>
    <pre wrap="">People, I need your help... I have been trying to solve this problem for a

    (<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://yojimbo.kung-f00.com/1150/">http://yojimbo.kung-f00.com/1150/</a>). I have posted in forums. I have cried
    out "WHAT THE F*** ALREADY!" (in Greek) 10^N times. But the access point
    remains stubbornly invisible from the desktop. Please help me!

    </pre>

    Thanks Airhead. I've learned something new today. Thanks again.

    "Airhead" <campbell@alliancecable.net> wrote in message
    > I suppose you tried a different pci slot?

    Yes, the 1st (near the AGP slot), the 3rd and the 5th... I even played around
    with BIOS settings and IRQ reservations for specific pci slots. No luck.

    :-/ After about a week, I'm more or less resigned to the fact that this
    combination won't work on my machine. I've ordered a new wireless PCI card and I
    guess I'll have to find another use for the adapter (perhaps on another
    machine)...
    Yet, just for the heck of it, I'd like to find out what's been causing the
    problem.

    --
    Spyros N.

    Runtime Error 6D at 417A:32CF: Incompetent User.

    After Airhead's reply, my answer would be redundant; but for the record, yes, it
    is possible to access the AP via ethernet, the AP works normally.

    "Doug Jamal" <bishiv6AT@yahooDOT.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    I'm just a tad bit confused. In your post, you stated that "the Truemobile
    conects normally to the AP from the laptop, but it cannot even see the AP when
    installed on the desktop". Is this correct? If so, my question is this: Isn't
    the Dell Truemobile 1150 a wireless notebook card? If so, what do you mean by
    saying that "it cannot even see the AP when installed on the desktop?" How do
    you install a notebook card on a desktop? Furthermore, what do you mean by
    saying that the "AP remains stubbornly invisible from the desktop?" Is it not
    possible to access the AP via ethernet cable?

    --
    Spyros N.

    Runtime Error 6D at 417A:32CF: Incompetent User.

Wireless Wireless Networking