Urgrading issues going from Vista to Win7

I have Vista Ultimate 64 bit installed and when I try to upgrade to Win 7 Professional 64 bit it goes about 99% of the way and then I get an error. Its says that windows can't update or write to the boot sector. Any ideas. SOunds like my boot sector is corrupt or protected but I can't figure it out.
4 answers Last reply
More about urgrading issues vista win7
  1. From Vista the Upgrade must be = to or higher then the version you are upgrading from, ie; Vista Business to Win 7 Professional or Ulimate, Vista Ultimate to Win 7 Ultimate. You can't downgrade the version, (Ultimate to Professional) which is what you are attempting.
    From XP you can upgrade to any version of Win 7 as a clean install is required.
  2. If you have Full installer of Win7 (not Upgrade version), it's better.

If you have atleast two partitions, Choose any partition you want to install. Format it. And I suggest you to install it as a "clean install".
  3. Jonmor68 said:
    From Vista the Upgrade must be = to or higher then the version you are upgrading from, ie; Vista Business to Win 7 Professional or Ulimate, Vista Ultimate to Win 7 Ultimate. You can't downgrade the version, (Ultimate to Professional) which is what you are attempting.
    From XP you can upgrade to any version of Win 7 as a clean install is required.

^+1.
  4. FzFs said:
    If you have Full installer of Win7 (not Upgrade version), it's better.

If you have atleast two partitions, Choose any partition you want to install. Format it. And I suggest you to install it as a "clean install".

^+2.
Ask a new question

Read More

Boot Windows Vista Windows 7