Newbie PC Builder - PC switches on but not off?!

Jules48

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2001
Hi

'fraid I'm stuck again.

After much experimentation with front panel connectors, I managed to get my system to post and for a while I was making progress. However, I've since added some drives etc', and now the PC switches on and bbots up fine from the front panel powerswitch, but when I switch it off, although it seems to shut down (screen goes blank, CPU fan switches off), the drives and system fans keep running. If I then hit the power switch again, nothing happens and I have to disconnect the power feed to switch off properly.

I've disconnected the drives and fans and their powersupplies to try and get back to where I was, but even with a bare system it's still doing the same thing. It can't be the front panel connector because it was working fine. Does anyone have any ideas.

As ever, many thanks in advance.

Jules

Jules48

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2001
Sorry correction - the problem seems to be related to the hard drives. If I disconnect them the system's fine (switches on/off without problems). If I connect them (either or both of them), I have the problem as described above.

Incidentally the drives themselves are working fine, being detected correctly as master and slave. The system even found a windows partition on one of them and booted into Windows.

If I can just sort this power situation out...!

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
maybe you could give some more info, like mobo, chipset, cpu and stuff like that. But i'm thinking of 2 different things you can try.

1. It could be that you have 'soft off' or something like it enabled in the bios, which prevents the comp from being shut down by the front panel switch (to safeguard from snooping kids..heh). Instead, the power button may just trigger suspend or sleep mode. My moboard supports this function.

2. Another way to turn it off would be to hold the power button for 4 sec (somewhere around 4 sec, seems like longer when i do it) and that should shut it off to.

Try looking around in power section (could be called something else of course) of bios and see if you can spot the 'soft off' function, or try the 4 sec hold down.

hope this helps.

Jules48

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2001
That got it - can't see a way to disable it in the bios (unfortunately) but it's definitely the soft off.

Many thanks.

Jules

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Way to go, Jojo, you beat me to the punch on this one! I hope this post stays on page one for a few days just so that other people with the same situation will know what to do!

Suicide is painless...........