HP 9100 Driver Bug: Changing Printer IP Address Breaks PCs

I have no idea where else to post this. Don't seen any users forums on
HP's site, so on the off chance that someone someday sees this when
they're having the same problem we were having, here goes...

We have an HP 9100 series all-in-one printer, with the full software
installed on several printers in the office.

Recently we changed IP scheme in our office, and as a result the
printer's IP number changed.

After the change, we noticed that several of the PCs took an unusually
long time to either launch Internet Explorer or simply open a "My
Computer" window. For that matter, even going to a new web page in an
already open Internet Explorer window would take ~30 seconds. At first
we thought it was some sort of DNS problem, but after spending way too
much time debugging and packet sniffing...

For some reason whenever you open IE, HP's software sends an SNMP
request to the 9100 at the printer's IP address used when you installed
the printer. If the printer's address has changed, IE hangs until the
SNMP request times out.

Uninstalling the HP software fixed the problem and I'd presume
(although we haven't gotten this far) reinstalling the software will
get us back up and running.

-Ken
1 answer Last reply
More about 9100 driver changing printer address breaks

    "kshep" <google@kshep.net> wrote in message
    >I have no idea where else to post this. Don't seen any users forums on
    > HP's site,

    [snip]

    I cannot answer your question about the 9100, but HP has user forums at
    http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/categoryhome.do?categoryId=420
    for business users and
    http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/familyhome.do?familyId=228
    for IT professionals.

    Regards,

Hewlett Packard Internet Explorer Printers Computers