Sign in with
Your question

Oblivion - Some Questions

Last response: in Video Games
January 3, 2011 4:23:00 AM

I have spent the past hour reading the 7 pages of threads regarding oblivion, and unfortunately I didnt see anything that was directly related to the type of help I am asking for.

I recently got my new laptop from Digital storm (will post specs later), and decided to reinstall my Oblivion GOTY + patch + Shimmering Isle addon, and have been loving the RPG style playing the game so beautifully has. Only problem is this though; everytime i get hit I lag for a good second or two. It has forced me to go the way of the Theif and just sneak/shoot a bow 100% of the time so to avoid damage.

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100618-1621)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: CLEVO CO.
System Model: B5130M
BIOS: BIOS Revision: 1.00.01S
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 540 @ 2.53GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3764MB RAM
Page File: 3174MB used, 4352MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics (Core i5)
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0046&SUBSYS_51301558&REV_02
Display Memory: 2619 MB
Dedicated Memory: 993 MB
Shared Memory: 1626 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: unknown
Monitor Id: HSD06A5
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
NVIDIA GeForce GT 425m video card

I am using Bloom screen effects, Distant Landsacpe + Buildings, full screen + V Sync, no anti-aliasing

I dont know how to exactly get a detailed list of the specs the game is using for me, but nothing is really high detail -- the only thing is the resolution (which id prefer not having to change as i would have to change my screen resolutin as well...and it just wouldnt look good :/ )

Anyways, if that isnt enough info, I will attempt to find out more game settings -- the only thing i see for it is the default settings which doesnt help anybody.

More about : oblivion questions

January 3, 2011 7:32:01 AM

Not exactly a high-performance gaming setup to be honest, so I'm not surprised that you are experiencing some lag. Add to that the fact that you've installed mods, which can slow down the game even further. Oblivion needs a dedicated GPU to run properly.
m
l
January 3, 2011 2:24:56 PM

try disabling all your mods and turning your graphics all the way down
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 3, 2011 3:16:16 PM

I'm guessing you have a DigitalStorm xm15 and opted to go with the 1920 x 1080 resolution screen over the standard 1366 x 768 resolution screen.

That's where the problems lies. While the GeForce 425m video card in your laptop is considered to be a fast mid range card for a laptop, the fact of the matter is it's a laptop GPU which is slower than a desktop mid range GPU.

If you kept the standard resolution screen you would have no problems. But at 1920 x 1080 I recommend you lower your graphic settings.S
m
l
January 4, 2011 1:47:54 PM

Well the game runs fairly smoothly, just getting hit sucks :/  ill try lowering the resolution a bit in general, see how things are and if i can adjust or not.

Atleast I can play halflife 2 without any issues :)  shame oblivion is such a beast, such an intense RPG.
m
l
!