How to set up dual screens for splitscreen Left 4 Dead 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
I've been ripping my hair out, burning it off with a branding iron, and lazing it out with a chemical laser over this. I cannot find a how to for setting up dual monitors anywhere for Windows 7. I probably don't know the right buzz words or something.

If anyone can tell me set this up on my rig, single card (GTX 275), OC'd Quad core (Q9550 @ 3.9Ghz), I will crown you king (or queen) of the internet.

I have tried running my game windowed no border, tried running it windowed with border and dragging it to extend it (Didn't work as it wouldn't let me select the edge), tried creating a custom resolution in the Nvidia control panel, and tried changing the resolution in Windows.

I am trying to play Left 4 Dead 2 splitscreen using two monitors, one for each player. I have two monitors with one resolution 1080p the other a rather strange 2048x1152, which I would run @ 1080p.

Solution
Problem is that games by default do not span multiple monitors. That is what AMD Eyefinity and Nvidia Surround are designed to do. The Nvidia version however requires 2 cards in SLI and outputs to 3 monitors, not 2.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
Again, I already have splitscreen working, its spanning that I want to figure out. With both displays active I can play splitscreen on one monitor while the other simply plays nothing.

What I really need to know is how you make a game recognize dual screens and span the image across both screens in Windows 7. This seems to be a case where it is so apparently obvious that it isn't documented anywhere.

How do you span screens? How do you make a game span the width of two monitors instead of one? Those are the questions I need answers to, not how to set up splitscreen in Left 4 Dead 2. Left 4 Dead 2 was just context for why I wanted dual screens instead of triple screens.

OK, understood. You might have stated the question a bit more clearly though. "I cannot find a how to for setting up dual monitors anywhere for Windows 7" is a bit ambiguous.

You need a way to make the game think the two screens are actually a single monitor. If you had an AMD GPU I would have said Eyefinity. Not sure if it can be done with your current setup, although it is supported on the 400 series and later cards.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
Yeah, I'm sorry about that. I sorta confused another post I made on another forum with this one and as such wasn't very clear.

I don't know how to make my game use a resolution like that is my problem. I have seen people say that that is what you need to do but I haven't found out how.

OllieUK

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Do you actually really want to do this? Presumably your gun sight will be right in the middle of the 2 screens and therefore very difficult to aim nicely (unless you have some really fancy monitors with zero frame). 3 monitors makes sense as you still have a monitor at the center and one for each peripheral but for an FPS 2 doesn't seem to make much sense from a usability point of view..

Just a thought..

He's actually trying to split-screen across 2 monitors, so two people can play simultaneously. Thus there would be two gunsights, one on each screen.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010

There is a software hack but it involves downloading files from a site I don't know if I can trust and altering the way the game loads. I was just hoping, what with the number of people doing this sort of thing, that it wasn't strictly limited to SLI on the NVIDIA side and that it was another case of my ignorance creating road blocks.

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.