Chaintech M/boards

G

Hi, I am looking at purchasing a new PC and one dealer is offering a Chaintech motherboard on a very nicely priced Athlon 1000 based system.

I am aware that the ASUS A7V is probably the board of choice at the moment but I am curious as to anyones opinion on the Chaintech board, for example, any known issues for a 1Ghz CPU, recommendations, etc. The board model number is a 7AJA/100.

The board seems fully featured and reliable by all accounts, but I can find no reviews or independent assesments as to its quality and reliability.

Additionally, can anyone explain the difference between FSB and clock speed on a motherboard? Are they one in the same?

Cheers,

Adrian

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I recently purchased a chaintech motherboard model CT-7ATA (slot a). I was looking for a stable and cheap motherboard for a midranged pc for my brother who needed the best computer he could afford. I was quite impressed with it actually. Myself I have an Asus k7v (1 gig) and the asus board was just a very small fraction faster noticeable only on a benchmark program. Setup was a breaze and crashes so far have been non-existant. The Asus did have more tweakability in bios but other than that I found the chaintech board to be a solid performer. While this is not the exact model as the board in which you are refering it may be nice to know that some of there other boards perform well and hopefully this will spill over into your board.
as for your second question fsb and clock speed ( I am assuming you are refering to clock multiplier) are not the same thing but work with each other in the following way.

clock multiplier X FSB = clock speed

hence 100 fsb x 10 (clock multiplier) = 1000 mhz (1 gig)

*note..... do not be mislead by amd's claim of a 200 mhz fsb, while it is true in theory for this purpose of discussion it is 100 mhz as amd "double pumps" the fsb to give it an effective 200 mhz to the cpu and cpu only.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

G

Cheers for the reply, everything else I have heard about Chaintech has been positive. I will take that to be a good thing rather than probably the fact that the their boards may not yet be widely used enough for too many people to have an opinion.