AV7 bios doesn't reconize new WD hd

RCPilot

Champion
Asus av7 bios 10004c
amd thunderbird 1 gig
256 sd133 ram
WD 40 gig 7200 rpm ata100 hd
win 98 se

I had this MOBO running fine with 2 older hd's & bought a new ata100 compatable hd & that was the end of it.

After many, many tries of about everything under the sun, I've finally figured out that the bios doesn't reconize the new hd. With the primary master set to auto in the bios, it finds it after the post. With the bios set to manual & the heads, sectors, & cylinders are put in, it comes back after post & says primary master failed. I push F1 & it finds it then goes into windows. It is working out of the temp file.

The other thing in bios is that in the boot section it doesn't reconize the new hd either.

I installed a new burner & bios found that right away.

The WD install guide says to add the hd to the cmos, but I can't seem to get there either.

Thanks for the help.

Skinny

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Do you have any jumpers on the back of the HD? If so, take them all out so there are no jumpers at all on the HD itself and see if that helps.

Zenthar

Distinguished
The bios will NEVER find it since it is plugged in the ATA-100 controler wich uses a diferents BIOS. If the ATA-100 bios is working, you should see the HD apear int he Promise bios load, justs after normal bios.

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
OK, he never said he had it plugged into the ATA100.

So let's assume that is what he is doing.

Take the HD out of the ATA100. Put it on the IDE ATA66 port. Install the proper Promise drives in Windows.
Restart and go into the bios. Enable the ATA100 and set it to boot off of the ATA100. Then, shut down and plug the ATA100 HD into the ATA100 IDE controller port.
Try and restart.

If you reply, please tell us where you are plugging the HD into.

RCPilot

Champion
bios 10004c
ultra driver build 28

Well I finally got the bios to reconize the new HD when I plugged it into the IDE ATA 66 slot. Confusing! I ran the old drives in the Ultra ATA 100 slot & had no problem reconiziing that drive.

I must not have all the bios I need. Some of the optiions shown in the manual, aren't available to me in my bios, for some reason. I know you said Bubba to enable that Ultra ATA 100 on the boot page of the bios, that option is not there. There's a couple of other options shown in the manual I don't have as well. I think that my MOBO doesn't have ATA 100 in the bios. All the options only go up to UDMA4 & my HD reads in post as UDMA5. I'm confused!!

I got the cleanest load of Windows 98SE after I got the HD in the IDE ATA 66 slot, but I can't load any games or programs over about 15K in size once I get up in Windows. It says that my TEMP DIR is full & I can't seem to increase the size of the TEMP DIR to open them. Didn't have that problem with the old WD HD.

Any light you can shed on this problem, I'll try. I've had the jumpers in all kinds of different locations & removed & didn't see any differance there.

Thanks,
Skinny

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You don't have these options in the 1004c version?\
That's very strange. Try flashing your bios to 1005b.
Also, are you sure you actually have an A7V? Just checking.