HELP! System Shuts down after 2 seconds!!!

FUNCTOR

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I just put together my first system, and I was extremely careful, wearing a statick bracelet and such. I went to turn it on, and the fans turn on for about 2 senconds, and then it shuts down. Nothing appears on the monitor. I have a 1.1Ghz T-Bird, Asus A7V, Maxtor ATA 100 20 Gb HD, Toshiba 12xDVD, Leadtek Geforce Ultra, 256 MB PC 133 RAM, Thermaltake Super Orb Heatsink, panasonic floppy, 300W powersupply. Thats all I have connected right now. PLEASE help me out with any tips you may have! Thanks!

All things must surely have to end...
Functor

G

Well it could be that the memory isn't compatible with the mobo. Or it could be some of the ribbons aren't in well enough. Or you didn't plug everything in. Or something is DOA (dead on arrival). It can be many things, just try and push in every cord and ribbon again, some of these things need some force to get in. If it fails, just rebuild your system again, unplug everything then do it over. It worked for me once. good luck!

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You prob already have checked this but....

There are two power switches. One on the power supply and one on the front of the case. When you turn on the one on your power supply what your described should happen. The system should power up for 1 or 2 secs and then power down again. You then have to push the power button on the front of your case to turn on the computer.

If that doesn't work try holding down the front button for at least 4 secs.

If that doesn't work make sure you have wired the power switch correctly.

If that doesn't work try switching the power switch and reset switch connectors on the motherboard and turn on your computer with the reset button.

If that doesn't work describe what happened when you tried the above.

- JW

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I agree it would appear that he does not have his power switch correct wired to the motherboard. Happens to the best of us at times. Double check the manual.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

FUNCTOR

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I checked the manual, and it all checks out. I also did all of the above, and at all times the comuter shut off after 2 seconds, and nothing appeared on the screen at any time. The only oddity was that the hard drive light didn't come on, but the Dvd did. Any more tips?

All things must surely have to end...
Functor

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you are sure that you do infact have the power switch connected i suggest you try this. Remove all your cards except for your video card. unplugg all your cd roms dves and hdd including there power cables. Leave only your floppy connected. Now try to power on your system. try this and report back.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
try fliping the power wire from front panel to mobo over, reversing the polarity. You might have it backwards.
Or in my case, the wires were marked incorrectly.

TRENDING THREADS