How can I find which provider a cell number is associated ..

Last response: in Network Providers
September 24, 2004 8:26:51 PM

Hi all-

Again, I am turning to you all for this piece of information...

Sometime ago, I remember seeing a link to a webpage that
allowed one to plug in an area code and cell phone exchange
(ie, 814-440) and it would return who the provider was for
that number. Can anyone direct me to that site?

Your help is always appreciated.

SM
Anonymous
September 24, 2004 8:26:52 PM

Won't do you any good today after portability has started...i.e.: a Verizon
number originally may now be with Cingular etc.

"Simply Me" <smjunk905@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all-
>
> Again, I am turning to you all for this piece of information...
>
> Sometime ago, I remember seeing a link to a webpage that
> allowed one to plug in an area code and cell phone exchange
> (ie, 814-440) and it would return who the provider was for
> that number. Can anyone direct me to that site?
>
> Your help is always appreciated.
>
> SM

September 24, 2004 10:03:52 PM

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 16:26:51 -0400, "Simply Me"
<smjunk905@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi all-
>
>Again, I am turning to you all for this piece of information...
>
>Sometime ago, I remember seeing a link to a webpage that
>allowed one to plug in an area code and cell phone exchange
>(ie, 814-440) and it would return who the provider was for
>that number. Can anyone direct me to that site?

There are several places you could go to get this information. One of
them is http://telcodata.us

BTW, 814-440 is Cellco Partnership d/b/a Verizon Wireless-PA
September 24, 2004 10:04:26 PM

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 15:40:23 -0500, "Edgar" <edgar@nowhere.com> wrote:

>Won't do you any good today after portability has started...i.e.: a Verizon
>number originally may now be with Cingular etc.

It will tell you who it's registered to though.

>"Simply Me" <smjunk905@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all-
>>
>> Again, I am turning to you all for this piece of information...
>>
>> Sometime ago, I remember seeing a link to a webpage that
>> allowed one to plug in an area code and cell phone exchange
>> (ie, 814-440) and it would return who the provider was for
>> that number. Can anyone direct me to that site?
>>
>> Your help is always appreciated.
>>
>> SM

September 24, 2004 10:46:46 PM

In article <4154a3d4$0$4054$61fed72c@news.rcn.com>,
Matt <swmmraf24@rcn.com> wrote:

> You can also try http://www.fonefinder.net/index.php
> It allows you to plug in area code and exchange and it tells you the
> state of origin, city of origin, and original provider (or larger
> company owning the provider).

So, does this mean that COMMNET CELLULAR, INC.- ARIZONA owns Verizon
Wireless?

--
Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Vote for John Kerry.
Anonymous

"Michelle Steiner" <michelle@michelle.org> wrote in message news:michelle->
So, does this mean that COMMNET CELLULAR, INC.- ARIZONA owns Verizon
> Wireless?

No, but it might mean that Verizon bought out or merged with Commnet. Some
of these still show Airtouch, BAM, ect.
Anonymous
September 24, 2004 11:20:25 PM

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 18:46:45 -0400, Matt <swmmraf24@rcn.com> wrote:

>Simply Me wrote:
>> Hi all-
>>
>> Again, I am turning to you all for this piece of information...
>>
>> Sometime ago, I remember seeing a link to a webpage that
>> allowed one to plug in an area code and cell phone exchange
>> (ie, 814-440) and it would return who the provider was for
>> that number. Can anyone direct me to that site?
>>
>> Your help is always appreciated.
>>
>> SM
>>

>You can also try http://www.fonefinder.net/index.php
>It allows you to plug in area code and exchange and it tells you the
>state of origin, city of origin, and original provider (or larger
>company owning the provider).

I used the page using my area code and prefix and it comes up with ATT
instead of Verizon.

Could it be that my number was originally an ATT number that someone
brought to VZW and stopped service and it was given to me?
Anonymous
September 25, 2004 1:16:40 AM

http://www.nanpa.com/

"Simply Me" <smjunk905@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1096057566.409869@web.velocity.net...
> Hi all-
>
> Again, I am turning to you all for this piece of information...
>
> Sometime ago, I remember seeing a link to a webpage that
> allowed one to plug in an area code and cell phone exchange
> (ie, 814-440) and it would return who the provider was for
> that number. Can anyone direct me to that site?
>
> Your help is always appreciated.
>
> SM

September 25, 2004 1:45:14 AM

Try these links -- they are much more accurate now that LNP is available:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/LNPControllerServlet
http://www.attwireless.com/lnp/check_eligibility.jhtml
http://nextelonline.nextel.com/NASApp/wnp/Action/PECLan...

There may be others...

"Simply Me" <smjunk905@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all-
>
> Again, I am turning to you all for this piece of information...
>
> Sometime ago, I remember seeing a link to a webpage that
> allowed one to plug in an area code and cell phone exchange
> (ie, 814-440) and it would return who the provider was for
> that number. Can anyone direct me to that site?
>
> Your help is always appreciated.
>
> SM

Anonymous
September 25, 2004 2:20:02 AM

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 19:20:25 -0400, forked <replyingroup@invalid.com>
wrote:

>I used the page using my area code and prefix and it comes up with ATT
>instead of Verizon.
>
>Could it be that my number was originally an ATT number that someone
>brought to VZW and stopped service and it was given to me?

The database seems to be somewhat out of date. They still have our
local VZ landline exchanges showing as GTE and the VZW numbers as
BANM.
September 25, 2004 3:12:14 AM

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 22:20:02 -0400, The Ghost of General Lee
<ghost@general.lee> wrote:

>On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 19:20:25 -0400, forked <replyingroup@invalid.com>
>wrote:
>
>>I used the page using my area code and prefix and it comes up with ATT
>>instead of Verizon.
>>
>>Could it be that my number was originally an ATT number that someone
>>brought to VZW and stopped service and it was given to me?
>>

>The database seems to be somewhat out of date. They still have our
>local VZ landline exchanges showing as GTE and the VZW numbers as
>BANM.

That may be how it's listed. If you go to nanpa.com and it's listed
that way there it's likely how it's listed even though the entity's
name may be long gone. There are lots of names listed with nanpa that
are definitely a non-existant present name yet that's how it's listed
in the records for whatever reason.

September 25, 2004 8:20:25 AM

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 23:12:14 -0700, Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>That may be how it's listed. If you go to nanpa.com and it's listed
>that way there it's likely how it's listed even though the entity's
>name may be long gone.

No, nanpa.com's info reflects the companies current names, at least
for the local exchanges around here.
September 25, 2004 11:13:46 AM

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 04:20:25 -0400, The Ghost of General Lee
<ghost@general.lee> wrote:

>On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 23:12:14 -0700, Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>
>>That may be how it's listed. If you go to nanpa.com and it's listed
>>that way there it's likely how it's listed even though the entity's
>>name may be long gone.
>
>No, nanpa.com's info reflects the companies current names, at least
>for the local exchanges around here.

OK. 917-206 is listed as Verizon New York. But 917-213 is listed as
Omnipoint Communications Inc., NY when it's in reality for T-Mobile!
Omnipoint hasn't existed in at least three years. Omnipoint was the
name used before it became either VoiceStream or T-Mobile. 614-299 is
listed as Ameritech Ohio. Ameritech doesn't exist any longer and is
now SBC. 614-589 is listed as Aerial Communications though it's now
T-Mobile. What I said in my earlier message stands. Often the name
for the company will *not* be its present name.

September 25, 2004 2:45:13 PM

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 07:13:46 -0700, Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>OK. 917-206 is listed as Verizon New York. But 917-213 is listed as
>Omnipoint Communications Inc., NY when it's in reality for T-Mobile!
>Omnipoint hasn't existed in at least three years. Omnipoint was the
>name used before it became either VoiceStream or T-Mobile. 614-299 is
>listed as Ameritech Ohio. Ameritech doesn't exist any longer and is
>now SBC. 614-589 is listed as Aerial Communications though it's now
>T-Mobile. What I said in my earlier message stands. Often the name
>for the company will *not* be its present name.

That is true... a lot of times the new company keeps the old company's
name in the NANPA database.

Its a pain sometimes to track down who owns what.

But with thousand block pooling, its becoming harder and harder - but
there are websites that help there too.
Anonymous
September 25, 2004 6:27:05 PM

wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 04:20:25 -0400, The Ghost of General Lee
><ghost@general.lee> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 23:12:14 -0700, Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>That may be how it's listed. If you go to nanpa.com and it's listed
>>>that way there it's likely how it's listed even though the entity's
>>>name may be long gone.
>>
>>No, nanpa.com's info reflects the companies current names, at least
>>for the local exchanges around here.
>
>OK. 917-206 is listed as Verizon New York. But 917-213 is listed as
>Omnipoint Communications Inc., NY when it's in reality for T-Mobile!
>Omnipoint hasn't existed in at least three years. Omnipoint was the
>name used before it became either VoiceStream or T-Mobile. 614-299 is
>listed as Ameritech Ohio. Ameritech doesn't exist any longer and is
>now SBC. 614-589 is listed as Aerial Communications though it's now
>T-Mobile. What I said in my earlier message stands. Often the name
>for the company will *not* be its present name.

But, nanpa.com's info is correct for our local companies. They
changed GTE to Verizon and Southern Bell to BellSouth. The other site
is the one with the out of date names for the exchanges here. YMMV.
September 25, 2004 6:27:06 PM

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 14:27:05 -0400, The Ghost of General Lee
<ghost@general.lee> wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 07:13:46 -0700, Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 04:20:25 -0400, The Ghost of General Lee
>><ghost@general.lee> wrote:

>>>No, nanpa.com's info reflects the companies current names, at least
>>>for the local exchanges around here.
>>
>>OK. 917-206 is listed as Verizon New York. But 917-213 is listed as
>>Omnipoint Communications Inc., NY when it's in reality for T-Mobile!
>>Omnipoint hasn't existed in at least three years. Omnipoint was the
>>name used before it became either VoiceStream or T-Mobile. 614-299 is
>>listed as Ameritech Ohio. Ameritech doesn't exist any longer and is
>>now SBC. 614-589 is listed as Aerial Communications though it's now
>>T-Mobile. What I said in my earlier message stands. Often the name
>>for the company will *not* be its present name.
>>

>But, nanpa.com's info is correct for our local companies. They
>changed GTE to Verizon and Southern Bell to BellSouth. The other site
>is the one with the out of date names for the exchanges here. YMMV.

And which other site might that be?
September 26, 2004 12:44:34 AM

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 13:56:10 -0700, Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>And which other site might that be?

http://www.fonefinder.net/index.php
Anonymous
September 26, 2004 3:21:16 AM

Edgar wrote:
> Won't do you any good today after portability has started...i.e.: a Verizon
> number originally may now be with Cingular etc.

but you can still look up who the block of 1,000 numbers in an exchange is
allocated to.

To find out if it's been ported or not you'd need a subpoena -

but...

http://fonefinder.net/

> "Simply Me" <smjunk905@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hi all-
>>
>>Again, I am turning to you all for this piece of information...
>>
>>Sometime ago, I remember seeing a link to a webpage that
>>allowed one to plug in an area code and cell phone exchange
>>(ie, 814-440) and it would return who the provider was for
>>that number. Can anyone direct me to that site?
>>
>>Your help is always appreciated.
>>
>>SM

September 28, 2004 2:14:38 AM

Commnet Cellular was purchased by Airtouch, then Airtouch was purchased and
combined to create Verizon the same year. There is another company, Commnet
Wireless, not related to any of this.

Bill Radio
http://www.mountainwireless.com

!