Status
Not open for further replies.

BeCoolBro

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
Lately I've been thinking about getting a ps3.I would get it in a heartbeat if I didn't have a good gaming pc but the thing is that my i5 750 at 3.6ghz with a 5850 lacks nothing in terms of the games availabale to the pc.What the pc lacks is some very good games like red dead redemption,killzone 2,infamous etc. and coop between me and my friends.I have only 1 pc capable of running all the lates games so I can't play anything with friends over lan.
These titles and split screen gaming has made me seriously consider getting a ps3 to have for coop gaming and ps3 exclusives and my pc for pc exclusives like arma 2,metro 2033,crysis and so on.
My question is,keeping these in mind,is a ps3 worth it for me?

ulysses35

Distinguished
yes it is worth it - i too have a decent gaming PC, but find myself spending more time playing games on the PS3 online.

Im not for one minute saying the PC is not as good as the PS3, but the whole online gaming experience is so much easier. Turn it on.... put a disc in and away you go - no need to worry about the graphics settings... or drivers.

Plus the PS3 is a very capable Blu-Ray player so think of it as a jack of all trades rather than just a gaming machine.

I think it's worth it. I have a good PC for games and a PS3. I use the PS3 for streaming music/video from my PC, netflix streaming, and as a blu ray player, in addition to games.

You mentioned Killzone 2. I do believe that is a PS3 exclusive title. I've been using my PS3 more for gaming for reasons stated by ulysses, as well as I prefer my 46" Sony Bravia over my 19" LCD monitor.

K3vBot6000

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
If you are worried go the used route. I have only had good experience buying used things on Craigslist and the like. I am enjoying my PS3 more and more everyday.
Having a media server set up is beyond cool.

Daniel_

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Depends really:

Blu-Ray films are amazing,
but you've got to have the TV and sound system to match.

Not having to pay monthly to use the online service is good,
but you'll need a pretty swift internet speed, as it will be much needed.

I've got a Playstation 3. It's alright, but my WAP is used by four or more devices,
and I've got an incredibly old TV.

kashifme21

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
Well most of the games are there on the PC already, however there are some console exclusives which are good for which you can get a PS3. However these games are very few and far inbetween, most of the exclusives arent even worth playing, for example:

In 2009 the only game worth playing on the PS3 was uncharted 2, thats about it.

2010 Asides red dread redemption there wasnt much either, yes they had GOW 3 if you are into that sort of hack and slash.

2011 will be having KZ 3 which i find to be very generic shooter, Infamouse the last one wasnt that good i found it pretty boring. The only must have game will be uncharted 3.

So if you like to have those 1-2 games a year which are must haves by all means get a ps3.

Jprobes

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011

All you did here was give a biased representation of software you don't like on a system you don't really see any point in owning.

if you don't think there is any reason in owning a PS3, then give an objective assessment why, instead of making a half assed assumption.

But I digress.

Here is a list of games exclusively on the PS3

Dark Souls
Demon's Soul
God of War Collection (1 & 2)
God of War III
Gran Turismo 5
Heavenly Sword
Heavy Rain
The Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection
Infamous 1 & 2
Killzone 2 & 3
The Last of Us
Little Big Planet 1 & 2
Metal Gear Solid 4
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1 & 2
Ratchet & Clank
Resistance 1, 2 & 3
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
Sly Cooper: HD Collection
Tales of Xillia
Twisted Metal
Uncharted 1, 2 & 3
Valkyria Chronicles
Yakuza 1 & 2

^^^

Thats just the list of PS3 only games that are worth looking into if you actually get the system. Some may not be your tastes, some might.

If you do not already own a console then there are also other titles that are more enjoyable on a console (Sports/Racing/Platform games).

Although most of those are available on the PC, there are certain games I just prefer playing on a console rather then on a PC.

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
I have a pretty decent gaming PC with a good collection of games (old, new and classics), and since I bought a PS3 about two months ago I've not had the chance to play PC games anymore. PS3 exclusives make the PS3. Also, FHD Blu Ray? Hell yes. Already building a Blu Ray collection, and my most recent addition is the Game of Thrones box set (coming soon, it's on pre-order).

If you're looking for an entertainment solution, the PS3 is currently the best out there. Games, DVD's, Blu Rays, everything. It's worth it.

EDIT: Oh, and if you get a PS3, the first thing you do is buy the God of War Collection (God of War I and II remastered for PS3) and God of War III. Some of the best and most fun games I've ever played. Currently busy with God of War II, just finished God of War I and played God of War III a few weeks ago (yes, I got the order wrong, I know). Play them in sequence and they will pay for the PS3 themselves.

agree.. if you're gonna rant at least have a point.

i will agree that compared to the ps2 the ps3 has way less titles which i would consider interesting but with that said: neither xbox360, wii or pc gaming has done much better.

must own titles?

demon's souls (hard rpg)
dark souls (harder rpg)
soul calibur iv (fighter with good customization)
soul calibur v (fighter with good customization)
ninja gaiden sigma (rediculously hard)
gran turismo 5 (realistic racing)
prince of persia (all of them, great action games)

then theres a whole sleugh of other games such as xmen destiny, saints row 3, prototype, star wars and other games which i would suggest buying cheap used.

but we all have different tastes.

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

I like how they're remastering the older titles. Currently playing GoW II and it looks pretty good for an "old game". It's just a pity they're not redoing cut scenes, only the game textures and resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.