Help on MB decision

G

Wouldn't life be a whole lot easier if selecting a motherboard was as easy as selecting the CPU? :p

I plan on building an AMD Thunderbird 1.2 GHz system, and I'm having a little trouble decideing on the mother board. Right now the two I'm looking at is the Asus A7V or the AOpen AK73-Pro.

I have been reading some of the posts here. Although it seems a lot are A7V posts. I've read the horror stories with the A7V, and the success stories too. Despite a few headaches the A7V seems like a good board. Would that be a correct assumption?

I've seen very little on the AK73-Pro as far as good or bad reviews (in this forum). Any recomendations? Overclocking is not a big issue with me.

Thanks.

Stan

G

Oh, one other question. I plan to transfer my existing memory, sound, HD, and video cards to the new system.

With either MB, do you see a problem hooking up the following:

196MB PNY Memory
20GB Maxtor UDMA 60
ATI XPert 98 (AGP)
3Dfx Voodoo2 (2 cards in SLI)
SB Live (Original)
IBM DeskStar 6.1 GB HD
Kenwood 72 True X CD-ROM.

I personally can't forsee any problems, but just want to know if any of you might. I know my video is weak, but upgrading that will have to wait.

Thanks again

Stan

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Stan_Sanders on 01/16/01 08:21 PM.</EM></FONT></P>