PC Turn OFF Suddenly after 10-20 minutes gameplay

Status
Not open for further replies.

hadismkay

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
My PC, after 10-20 minutes of any game with a 3D element in it, shuts down. It never shuts down while being used normally (email, movies, internet), but consistently when gaming.

My Specs:

System:Windows 7 32 Bit Ultimate
Mobo:Gigabyte M61SME-S2 (Socket M2)
GPU:ATI Radeon hd 4650
Ram: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 314MHz (5-5-5-15)
HDD:500GB Western Digital
PSU:420 Watt

Solution

Well, cleaning the dust out of your case will help all your components. As for getting a new heat sink... you'll still need to remove the old heat sink and clean all the old thermal paste off the CPU, then apply new thermal paste and the new heat sink. Depending on the heat sink you get, it may come with preapplied thermal paste.

You can try playing games with the computer cover off, but it won't fix your heat issue. Your CPU will also have a shortened lifetime due to excess heat.
It sounds like a cooling problem or bad PSU. Try taking the side of the computer off and playing games. If it doesn't shut down then, you definately have a heat problem and need more cooling fans in your case.

Which CPU do you have and what are your CPU and GPU temps? Have you tried monitoring temps while you are playing? Playing games will definately cause your CPU and GPU to put out more heat than when idle.

hadismkay

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010

When i playing 3d games the temperature may exceeds 85-95 celcius..
What should i do??

Yes indeed, it's an overheating issue. Was it always this hot? If not, try cleaning the dust out of your case and out of the heat sink. If this doesn't help, try removing the heatsink, clean the old thermal paste off the CPU and heatsink, apply new thermal paste, and reseat the heat sink.

hadismkay

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010

Waa..thats a lot to do..
Can I just replace my cpu cooler with a new one??

Well, cleaning the dust out of your case will help all your components. As for getting a new heat sink... you'll still need to remove the old heat sink and clean all the old thermal paste off the CPU, then apply new thermal paste and the new heat sink. Depending on the heat sink you get, it may come with preapplied thermal paste.

You can try playing games with the computer cover off, but it won't fix your heat issue. Your CPU will also have a shortened lifetime due to excess heat.

Solution

In larger cases and cases with proper cooling, it won't make much difference. In smaller cases and cases with insufficient cooling it will help more. I have seen temps drop 10+°C with the cover off. This is not a solution to the problem as the CPU will still be running hotter than it should be, but it may cool it enough for the OP to play his games in the meantime.

Status
Not open for further replies.