small text can't read

G

Hi, This is my first post. I'm not sure if I put this in the right Forum but anyway here is my problem. It seem that when any text is below 7 point it appears distorted and I can't read it. It seems to happen on every program. I have a IBM 2127 17" monitor and a Voodoo3 card with the latest driver's (4.12.01) and I am running Win98 second edition. I just download the latest update for win98 on microsofts web site. I'm out of idea's I'm running at 1024x768x16 I tried different setting on res and colors but no difference... Please Help!

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Er, I think that's the way it is. Who can read a 7 point font with a 17" monitor set at 1024*768? Who needs to anyway?

------------------
This site is cool.

dmcmahon

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
A 7 point font isn't going to be readable. A typographic point is 1/72 of an inch. The default windows resolution is 96 dpi. Therefore, a 7 point font is 7 * 96/72 = 9 pixels high and about 4-5 pixels wide, depending on the character. Try setting windows to "large fonts", this kicks the logical DPI up to 120 (though it will magnify everything on the screen). Changing the browser default font size (under "Internet Options" in IE, "Preferences in Netscape) might help and would not affect everything else in the system the way "large fonts" will, though a lot of sites use CSS to force the fonts to specific sizes that override those settings.

G

Thanks guys for your help! I adjusted my IE5 text size to medium size (it was set to smallest) and it worked.. I can now read again!!! I tinkered with trying fix it for hours and it was that simple.. duh.

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It's ok it's part of learning... I used to be a computer moron like asking questions like "How do I start a computer?" Man I do not want to look back.

------------------
This site is cool.