Rambus Wins Brutal Patent Fight Against Nvidia

Status
Not open for further replies.

tethoma

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
Every old tech geek knows that Rambus was proprietary memory that costs twice as much as equivalent memory, and it was abolished from ALL PC's by 2003.

Who the hell is Rambus now?

danlw

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
96% revenue from patent licensing royalties? Definitely a patent warehouse and not much of anything else. They earn a spot on my list of most disliked companies, along with Monster Cable, Bose, Comcast, and Apple.

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
"According to Bloomberg, Rambus got about 96 percent of its $113 million in revenue last year from patent licensing royalties."

Wow...a company that survives on suing others... Words fail me.

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
[citation][nom]danlw[/nom]96% revenue from patent licensing royalties? Definitely a patent warehouse and not much of anything else. They earn a spot on my list of most disliked companies, along with Monster Cable, Bose, Comcast, and Apple.[/citation]

if you're adding companies that have failed/ripped off consumers or have trolled you can add just about every other tech company on there. they've all done it at some point.

thedreadfather

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
"The ITC's decision is another demonstration of the value of our continued commitment to innovation," said Thomas Lavelle, senior vice president and general counsel at Rambus.
Explain to me how blocking the sale of microchips helps innovation. It isn't like nVidia is stealing revenue from Rambus but rather Rambus stockpiling patents to cash in. What a tool.

wawa sxm

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
[citation][nom]duckmanx88[/nom]if you're adding companies that have failed/ripped off consumers or have trolled you can add just about every other tech company on there. they've all done it at some point.[/citation]

yes but rambus strategie is to file patents then sue with no intention to ever release a product

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Rambus does release memory technologies, like XDR. Don't forget, RDRAM killed DDR for the Pentium 4 when it was out. They have, and do still make products that can be useful.

But, if I were the CEO of Rambus, I'd branch out and not only offer memory technologies, but legal services. They've got enough experience at it, and a pretty good track record.

Putting chumps like NVIDIA in there with Rambus is like putting a goldfish in with a piranha. NVIDIA is good with the bluster, but they are completely overmatched going up against Rambus legally. Hell, outside of Microsoft and maybe Intel, everyone is.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Remember, kids, Rambus is the same company that sued all the memory manufacturers for infringing on their patents.

Nevermind the fact that Rambus proposed all those patents be worked into the standard while they were on the JDEC committee, and that they hid the fact that they held those patents at the time.

Pretty shady, imo. I can't believe they weren't fined out of existence for illegal practices...

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
continued commitment to innovation

that made me chuckle.. Rambus haven't made any commitment to innovation, let alone a continued one. They were incredibly greedy and tried to milk a type of ram that was slightly ahead of its competitors, and now they have to rely on patent trolling for cash, pathetic.

maxsp33d

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
This should be the right quote "The ITC's decision is another demonstration of the value of our continued commitment to STOP innovation".

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]False_Dmitry_II[/nom]The other 4%? PS3's.[/citation]

According to the report on Engadget: "NVIDIA will now have to sign up for a license to Rambus' precious IP portfolio, which might be a tad bit costly given that GeForce, Quadro, nForce, Tesla and Tegra chips are named as being in violation -- aside from Ion, that's pretty much NVIDIA's whole hardware business."

I guess that 4% probably is belong to the profit from Ion.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/27/rambus-victorious-in-patent-fight-with-nvidia-can-expect-neat-w/

Status
Not open for further replies.