Maxing performance of the PC5220 card for evdo

Last response: in Network Providers
September 25, 2004 8:00:40 PM

Below is a TripleT (Top Tech Tip) to supercharge your evdo experience.

To double, YES DOUBLE, your evdo speed do the following:

1. open MCM (mobil connection manager) (note: be sure you're running
ver. 2.5)
2. click on the Help button
3. Double right click in the "about" box. A small input window will
open in the lower part of the About box.
4. enter ##DEBUG (all uppercase) in that input box and hit enter.
This will open the engineering menu (the debug module)
5. Click on the TEST tab
6. Check to on "enable test mode"
7. Click on HDR only
8. Click the UPDATE TEST MODE AND RESET button
9. Enter 000000 (6 zeros when it asks for your code)
10. Wait til the modem resetting message at the top of the test screen
finishes and then click OK button
11. Click OK button on the MCM help window
12. Let mcm finish initializing and when READY go ahead and connect.
You should now be getting double the data speeds you were recieving
when hybrid was the mode setting for the modem in the test window of
the engineering menu (at least I get double -- went from 400 kbps to
850 kbps on multiple tests).

Note: you will need to select hybrid or CDMA mode using the same
proceedure as above in order to function in non evdo areas. HDR is
High Data Rate ONLY and forces evdo only mode.

Hope this TripleT is useful for you.

Boater805
Anonymous
October 1, 2004 2:02:18 PM

What about VZAccess manager? V 5.0.0??
Is there a debug procedure for this version?

"d b" <dberger805@nospam.softhome.net> wrote in message news:tvtbl0l9rua2nf3l4ulcr1b8j8sgdj2i5j@4ax.com...
> Below is a TripleT (Top Tech Tip) to supercharge your evdo experience.
>
> To double, YES DOUBLE, your evdo speed do the following:
>
> 1. open MCM (mobil connection manager) (note: be sure you're running
> ver. 2.5)
> 2. click on the Help button
> 3. Double right click in the "about" box. A small input window will
> open in the lower part of the About box.
> 4. enter ##DEBUG (all uppercase) in that input box and hit enter.
> This will open the engineering menu (the debug module)
> 5. Click on the TEST tab
> 6. Check to on "enable test mode"
> 7. Click on HDR only
> 8. Click the UPDATE TEST MODE AND RESET button
> 9. Enter 000000 (6 zeros when it asks for your code)
> 10. Wait til the modem resetting message at the top of the test screen
> finishes and then click OK button
> 11. Click OK button on the MCM help window
> 12. Let mcm finish initializing and when READY go ahead and connect.
> You should now be getting double the data speeds you were recieving
> when hybrid was the mode setting for the modem in the test window of
> the engineering menu (at least I get double -- went from 400 kbps to
> 850 kbps on multiple tests).
>
> Note: you will need to select hybrid or CDMA mode using the same
> proceedure as above in order to function in non evdo areas. HDR is
> High Data Rate ONLY and forces evdo only mode.
>
> Hope this TripleT is useful for you.
>
> Boater805

Anonymous
October 1, 2004 2:25:55 PM

I'm not aware of a debug proceedure for VZaccess. The proceedure I
detailed is from a walk thru by the verizon data technical support
they gave me while working on a latancy/dnslookup failure problem I
was repeatedly having using either MCM or VZacess. Subsequent
experimenting led me to find the speed results I noted.

BTW, I have so far found that the new PRL 50201 is much more stable on
my machine as to any timeout or data dropout problems.

!