Sign in with
Your question

Steam...why bother?

Last response: in Video Games
January 7, 2011 10:35:54 AM

Ok, so about to ragequit again on steam, first in..i dunno 2005?...and now, after being screwed over again. Only reason I gave them another go was because some mates assured me "its heaps better now" (and I wanted to play portal). Anyway, am I just unlucky?, the noisy minority?, too rage..ey? Have all you guys just resisted going postal at steam HQ, and eventually found clear waters, or has it just worked for you?

wow I managed no swears in there..rage..coming...back... :fou: 

More about : steam bother

January 7, 2011 10:43:39 AM

What exactly went wrong with it? I've never had an issue with it in the past 5 years I've had it and I have well over 25 games that all work just fine.

Considering how many people are using it now, I would say the majority of the people are happy with it. It's better than the typical DRM that's out there right now and it's tied to your account, not your PC.

m
l
January 7, 2011 10:55:46 AM

I was reluctant to switch to steam when it first came out and it did have some issues in the beginning, mostly with friends list and stuff, not so much the games. It has been much better for the past 3 years or so. I haven't had any issues with it, except for an occasional game. Even then, the problem was with the actual game, not steam. Tweaking the game's config file usually fixed the problem.

Other than that, it's great that you don't have to worry about losing your disks and that you can log into your account from just about anywhere and play.
m
l
January 7, 2011 2:43:51 PM

I've had a great experience using it for years and get most of my PC games through it these days, but I know if can be a problem for some people. I'm not saying it's perfect for everyone, but that it's definitely not universally crap or anything.

What's the exact problem you're running into - if you can tell us we may well be able to help get you back up and running.
m
l
!