AOE III - High GPU utilization

Hi all,

Age of Empires III is quite old by now, so I would expect my system to handle it without breaking a sweat (see specs in my profile). I play it at 1680x1050 with pretty much everything turned on.

The thing is, after playing for a while, my GPU fan audibly speeds up, and when checking my temperatures afterwards, RivaTuner confirms this. According to the graphs, I get 70C and near 100% fan speed. The only other game I have that comes anywhere near to pushing the card this hard is StarCraft 2, which is brand new and more intensive at high settings, I would think.

Any ideas? Is this known/expected behaviour for the game?
7 answers Last reply
More about high utilization
  1. Do you enable or force extreme amounts of aa(eg.8xaa+)?All rts games tend to challenge configurations due to the amount of objects rendered(gpu) and the amount of ai and physics calculations(cpu) that need to be done.AA especially can push a gpu that hard.
  2. Nope. I mostly have AA off or 4x at the most.

A quick check using GPU-Z has confirmed that utilization goes to 98%+.
  3. Herr_Koos said:
    Nope. I mostly have AA off or 4x at the most.

A quick check using GPU-Z has confirmed that utilization goes to 98%+.

It could be a bug.Is it fully updated?Maybe it hogs the gpu due to an error of the game's code.
  4. I just patched it to the latest version, will see if it helped.
  5. That is weird. My 9600GSO MAXES it out at full HD.
    And it is trash compared to your 9800GTX+.
  6. plznote said:
    That is weird. My 9600GSO MAXES it out at full HD.
    And it is trash compared to your 9800GTX+.

I can max the game out, it's just that my GPU seems to me working extremely hard.
  7. UPDATE: I may have discovered the culprit. The main menu screen chases the GPU to 100% almost instantly, while game itself is much more relaxed. This seems similar to what StarCraft 2 did when it was first released. Does anyone know of a fix for this?
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming GPUs Video Games