Abit vs Asus for Overclocking? help!

G

I was planning on buying a Duron 850 to use on a Abit KT7 mb, but read about the prospects of overclocking the Duron & Athlon w/ the Asus mb, and was planing on that option until I read that you had to modify the board yourself now... My question is, is there no way to reach 1ghz+ with the Duron on a unmodified Asus or Abit? If not, can you buy pre-modified Asus boards at a fair price?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
KT7s and Durons can go to 1000 Mhz without the need to modify the mobo. If the Duron is locked then you have to close the L1 bridges. Of course, you need good cooling, both on the CPU and in the case. Remember, not all Durons can reach 1000 Mhz. (Mine will but I have to leave the case open).

It was my understanding that the Asus A7Vs, now being shipped, do no need modification either but you'll have to wait for an A7V owner to reply.

If you are talking about modifications to get 2.0 or more volts for the CPU Core, that is only required, sometimes, to overclock Thunderbirds, and usually well beyond 1000 Mhz.

If you need one of those mobos, I know that OCZ.SAFESHOPPER.COM sells modified KT7s and KT7-RAIDs (good to 2.2 volts). Price $139.99 and $164.99, respectively. They also sell pretested, overclocked processors and processor-mobo combinations. Their memory is very good.