Disk access error installing SW/drivers for PSC 750

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.misc (More info?)

I have the latest drivers for my PSC 750. When I try to install
it, I get the message:

The system cannot open the device or file specified
Internal Error 2755. 110,
c:\cygwin\home\Administrator\psc750\FullDriver...
...\hp psc 700 series \Setup\setup.msi

The directory c:\cygwin\home\Administrator\psc750\FullDriver above is where I
specified the files to be copied in the setup procedure. The files are indeed
copied there, but the error message occurs during the actual install. I
searched the web for similar errors. The site
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324906&sd=tech says to
ensure that account SYSTEM had Full Control to the root directory of the hard
drive. Directories "c:\Program Files", "c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard" and
subfolders under the latter inheritted these widened permissions. This does
not solve the problem. I saw other places on the web that suggest giving
Full Control to the EVERYONE account. This sounds kind of drastic. Is this
a good idea? I usually do not operate using the administrator account
specifically because I rely on restricted permissions for safety.

Thanks for any comments.

Fred

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.misc (More info?)

PS: Posted to:
microsoft.public.win2000.security
[...]

Why not take HP's default path for driver installation? Why on earth install
the drivers along a path with cygwin on it? I rarely do NOT take the default
path when installing any software. The software writers seem to have enough
difficulty getting the software to work. Why tempt fate with a different path,
which may well not have been tested by what is claimed to be a quality assurance
department? ... Ben Myers

Ben Myers wrote:
> Why not take HP's default path for driver installation? Why on earth install
> the drivers along a path with cygwin on it? I rarely do NOT take the default
> path when installing any software. The software writers seem to have enough
> difficulty getting the software to work. Why tempt fate with a different path,
> which may well not have been tested by what is claimed to be a quality assurance
> department? ... Ben Myers

I believe that /is/ the default path. It results from downloading the install
program into c:\cygwin\home\Administrator\psc750\FullDriver. The install
program has no problem unpacking and writing the files into subdirectory "hp
psc 700 series". Where it seems to have trouble is copying those files into

Fred Ma wrote:
> Ben Myers wrote:
> > Why not take HP's default path for driver installation? Why on earth install
> > the drivers along a path with cygwin on it? I rarely do NOT take the default
> > path when installing any software. The software writers seem to have enough
> > difficulty getting the software to work. Why tempt fate with a different path,
> > which may well not have been tested by what is claimed to be a quality assurance
> > department? ... Ben Myers
>

> I believe that /is/ the default path. It results from downloading the install
> program into c:\cygwin\home\Administrator\psc750\FullDriver. The install
> program has no problem unpacking and writing the files into subdirectory "hp
> psc 700 series". Where it seems to have trouble is copying those files into
> "c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard".

Well, Ben, you were right. Thanks for pointing out that snafu factor.
It looks like the permissions for NTFS is not as simple as the permissions
shown under cygwin's "ls -l". Now that it installs, I'm onto the next
problems in getting them to work (but that's another story).

Fred

TRENDING THREADS