Best multiplayer FPS on PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twelvefold

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
Hi I'm new to this forum and I wanted to ask for your opinions on the best online FPS game as of 1/11? I am thinking along the lines of the CoD series, BFBC2, and I stress PC, opposed to consoles. What are you opinions on MW, MW2, and Black ops, and any other recommended FPS games and what is the online community like in these games.

Solution
Giving proper respect to so many good multiplayer shooters that have and still do exist today, I would say that BFBC2 is the most fun engaging online experience. The interface isn't that shiny but the replay value and broadened team aspect make the game hard to stop playing. I also play MW2 on occasion and it is worlds different. In MW2 its usually much more of an individual experience. MW2 is also a fun multiplayer game and I'm sure Black OPS is too, but for me BFBC2 is worlds different, and better than COD. Plus the Vietnam pack for BFBC2 is awesome, the pace and gameplay are much different and you get to unlock a bunch of new retro weapons which are more realistic then black ops. The campaign is pretty fun too but I def bought...

kashifme21

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009

I would strongly recommend you try out Team fortress 2 and Left 4 dead 2 on the PC. Those games are awesome. Both of them have a good sense of humor in them as well.

Team fortress 2 is nearly 4 years old now, yet it offers stuff that console gamers can only wish for(same goes for left 4 dead 2):

Dedicated servers (most of the console FPS games out there do not offer dedicated servers).
Community mods (free maps, ways to play etc.. something easily charged on consoles as DLC).
Both the above games run flawlessly on 3-4yr old hardware (1080p 60fps easily) there yet isnt a shooter on consoles that runs in 1080p, All COD games on console are Sub hd. The online community for both these games is very good.

As for MW, MW2 and black ops, the PC version of games easily look alot better then the console counter parts. MW and Black ops both offer dedicated servers, which means there is no such thing as "looking for new host" when a user hosting the game discounts.

Battle field Bad company 2 on PC easily looks like a different game on PC, since its using much higher res textures then the console version and also offers DX11 effects for the PC. Again community support for this game is very good on PC.

Twelvefold

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
Thanks for the suggestion I'm not a terribly huge fan of either of those kinds of games, but I meant to ask was the pros and cons of the games, rather than the difference between the pc and console editions.

kashifme21

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
Well i have personally played BC2 and i have played MW2 and Black ops. personally i think there isnt a whole lot of difference between MW2 and black ops, the games are very simulaor. I would call them rehashes of MW1.

BC2 on the other hand is a completely new game from the ground up. I would recommend you purchase BC2 of Steam when its on a discount (was on discount this holiday at 5usd or so cant recall exact price).

For COD i would recommend you pick up Black ops over MW2 since black ops offers dedicated servers.

Overall i personally find Team fortress 2 to be the most fun Shooter experience i have ever had, it just never gets old.

BobVosh

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
I would advise against MW2 as it doesn't offer dedicated servers.

Also if you are willing to wait a little while Brink is coming out very soon. Looks like it could be amazing, however as it isn't out yet I don't know if it will live up to that.

Twelvefold

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
Is having no dedicated servers if your playing in a low ping environment going to affect you much? So if I were to get one of the COD games for pc I would go with MW then Black ops and lastly MW2, since I prefer the modern warfare series. Does COD4 still have the most pc players, even though it was released in 2007, and MW2 lost a fair amount of players because it has no servers?

solidsteel

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
I know you want an online game. But if you have not played Mass Effect 2, PLAY IT. It has to be one of the best PC games in the last 10 years.

For me, I don't like COD that much, Modern Warfare 1 was incredible, but old now, and World at War was my favorite, but Black Ops was horrible in my opinion.

Bad Company 2 is great, the replay value is very high, I have been playing it for nearly a year now since its release last ~Feburary. The DLC "Vietnam" is very fun too and its just an all around great game.

Watch the two videos here on my channel, under "Game Videos"
http://www.youtube.com/xxsolidsteelxx

MockingbirdUK

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
Spam post - don't follow the link!

On topic: I pretty much agree with the crowd here: BFBC2 is a hard, but rewarding multiplayer experience. It really stresses the "multiplayer" aspect too - going off solo is rarely rewarded, whereas working together is extremely powerful.

MW2, much-maligned as it is, and annoying as it is with the player-hosting and the extortionate addon packs, is a very fun shooter. It's much, much more army-of-one type gameplay, where a good player can do extremely well solo.

Depending on preference, either will probably satisfy. (I've not played Black Ops, so that may be a better choice in the MW2 vein).

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
I say buy Black Ops over MW2 due to equal pricing while Black Ops fixes the bugs you see on MW2 in terms of online.
Brink looks to be impressive, so I would also say you should wait for it. I want to see how the new Battlefield game will turn out, but Bad Company 2 is enjoyable along large scaled multiplayer battles. The vehicles are fun, the community is somewhat respectable, and they've fixed most of the bugs since release day.

Giving proper respect to so many good multiplayer shooters that have and still do exist today, I would say that BFBC2 is the most fun engaging online experience. The interface isn't that shiny but the replay value and broadened team aspect make the game hard to stop playing. I also play MW2 on occasion and it is worlds different. In MW2 its usually much more of an individual experience. MW2 is also a fun multiplayer game and I'm sure Black OPS is too, but for me BFBC2 is worlds different, and better than COD. Plus the Vietnam pack for BFBC2 is awesome, the pace and gameplay are much different and you get to unlock a bunch of new retro weapons which are more realistic then black ops. The campaign is pretty fun too but I def bought the game for the multiplayer alone. Well I hope I convinced you enough, its not always run-n-gun like mw2 the ability and diversity of the vehicles, weapons, and maps along with the nicely enhanced pc graphics makes BFBC2 the clear choice at the moment and for 15 extra the Vietnam pack is awesome, one of the coolest DLCs Ive ever purchased. For a second choice, I would go with black ops but imho BFBC2 is the best multiplayer PC shooter available

I hope Battlefield 3 turns out well, Ive read that is supposed to be even moreso a battlefield game and less of a blend of COD/Battlefield which some say BFBC@ was

some other things that make BFBC2 multiplayer a great expririence:

-destructible enviroments
-real and diverse vehicle control
-large maps with good spawning system so your not running across the map everytime
-rewarded for playing as a team

realistic ballistics for the guns: if you are sniping far aim high because the bullet will drop, med aim slightly high, along with the destructible enviroments give the game an entirely better and unique expririence to COD imo it hasnt evolved really at all since MW1

Solution

camerareviews07

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
War Rock is the best FPS I believe. It is a tactical FPS in which you can fight in the air, on the land, and over the sea as a military engineer, medic, scout, assault, or heavy weapons expert. Above all War Rock is free to download and Free2Play.
:bounce:

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009

I love BC2, however I think it was more a tech demo for what to expect in BF3. The frostbite engine was perfectly showcased and DX11 graphics told us exactly the kind of fidelity to expect.

CoD is a waste of time IMO (played 4, 5, 6 & 7). Treyarch and IW have nothing on DICE for multiplayer.

Status
Not open for further replies.