Problems with Computer "Lockup" (Heat Associated?)

DGP_2000

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2001
I'm having sort of weird problem where my computer is starting to "lock" up at any point .......... Internet or otherwise .

I know that it's not a Hardware problem because I have had this computer for about a year with no previous signs of Problems .

Also I know that it's not a problem with files or defragging , etc. (I own Fix-It Utilities 3.0)

It's an Athlon Slot A 650 with a pretty large Heat sink (3 sections with one fan)
Btw ...... All fans are functional .

I noticed earlier tonight that the CPU & drives were slightly hot ....... not so hot as you cannot touch but hot enough you would'nt want to leave your fingers there .

So here I am , On the same computer but having my large home fan blowing towards my "OPEN" Computer case with no current problems .

Is there someone out there that could give me a remedy for my computer .

I thought of pouring Some Ny-Quil over the CPU but figured I should try this Forum first **LOL**

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Double check and make sure you heatsink and fan is still mounted correctly. I'd also try reseating all of your PCI cards, video card, CPU and memory dimms. If that doesn't work pull all cards out except your video card and see if that helps. If you have more than one DIMM try using one at a time. And if that doesn't work switch your BIOS settings to conservative settings (even default settings).

I know it was working before but the idea is to see if you can make your system stable firstly and then work from there.

G

is your power supply fan and any other case fans still running? and are they covered in fuzz?