Make Pavilion 503n restore CD's?

Having had to restore my nephew's computer from the restore
partition I now wonder if there is any way to create restore CD's
from this partition. I am afraid the next time I have the honor to
fixup his screwup's it will be so bad that even the restore
partition will be hosed.

Examination of this partition reveals CD identifiers which lead me
to believe it would be a 7 disk install/restore set if it could be
returned to the original CD format..

Anyone know how or if it is even possible to do this?
HP Pavilion 503n Windoze XP.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Splendid

I have the hp pavilion 523n. When purchased it came with the internal
restoration partition.Obviously this is of little use if a major disaster
sets in. I learned at that time that within a year of the computer's
purchase hp would mail you free of charge a set of eight restoration disks
entitled system recovery. Fortunately I was within the year.After the year
they will still send you the system recovery CDs, but as I recall, charge
you $10.00 (TEN) dollars. For the life of me, I don;t understand why they
simply don't include them with the computer. Contact hp , and see if they
have the recovery CDs for your computer.I hope this helps.
Mike
"DaveW" <moonrover@comcast.remove-this-munge.net> wrote in message
> Having had to restore my nephew's computer from the restore partition I
> now wonder if there is any way to create restore CD's from this partition.
> I am afraid the next time I have the honor to fixup his screwup's it will
> be so bad that even the restore partition will be hosed.
>
> Examination of this partition reveals CD identifiers which lead me to
> believe it would be a 7 disk install/restore set if it could be returned
> to the original CD format..
>
> Anyone know how or if it is even possible to do this?
> HP Pavilion 503n Windoze XP.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Why don't they simply include them with the computer? Cheap. Cheap trumps
customer satisfaction... Ben Myers

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, DaveW <moonrover@comcast.remove-this-munge.net> wrote:
> Having had to restore my nephew's computer from the restore
> partition I now wonder if there is any way to create restore CD's
> from this partition. I am afraid the next time I have the honor to
> fixup his screwup's it will be so bad that even the restore
> partition will be hosed.
>
> Examination of this partition reveals CD identifiers which lead me
> to believe it would be a 7 disk install/restore set if it could be
> returned to the original CD format..
>
> Anyone know how or if it is even possible to do this?
> HP Pavilion 503n Windoze XP.

If it has a CD or DVD writer, there should be an HP utility in Windows to
make the recovery tools CD plus either 6 recovery CDs, or 1 recovery DVD.
But it will only allow you to make 1 set. I have HP a530n.

"David Efflandt" <efflandt@xnet.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, DaveW
> <moonrover@comcast.remove-this-munge.net> wrote:
>> Having had to restore my nephew's computer from the restore
>> partition I now wonder if there is any way to create restore CD's
>> from this partition. I am afraid the next time I have the honor
>> fixup his screwup's it will be so bad that even the restore
>> partition will be hosed.
>>
>> Examination of this partition reveals CD identifiers which lead
>> me
>> to believe it would be a 7 disk install/restore set if it could
>> be
>> returned to the original CD format..
>>
>> Anyone know how or if it is even possible to do this?
>> HP Pavilion 503n Windoze XP.
>
> If it has a CD or DVD writer, there should be an HP utility in
> Windows to
> make the recovery tools CD plus either 6 recovery CDs, or 1
> recovery DVD.
> But it will only allow you to make 1 set. I have HP a530n.

Any specifics on that?
My research found only 1 other reference to that, absolutely nothing
on the HP site about that, and unfortunately nothing on the computer
that indicates or even looks like it could create the restore CD's.

Mike

Splendid

Contact HP, and buy the recovery disks from then As I said in an earlier
post it runs around $10 , and they will ship it to you.These disks will
restore the computer to its original condition if that is what you want.
They can also cause your recovery partition to run if you don't want a
reformat and a complete reinstallation.

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005, DaveW <moonrover@comcast.remove-this-munge.net> wrote:

> "David Efflandt" <efflandt@xnet.com> wrote:
>> If it has a CD or DVD writer, there should be an HP utility in
>> Windows to
>> make the recovery tools CD plus either 6 recovery CDs, or 1
>> recovery DVD.
>> But it will only allow you to make 1 set. I have HP a530n.
>
> Any specifics on that?
> My research found only 1 other reference to that, absolutely nothing
> on the HP site about that, and unfortunately nothing on the computer
> that indicates or even looks like it could create the restore CD's.

Under: Start, All Programs, PC Help & Tools
HP PC Recovery Tools CD (creates 1 CD)
HP PC Recovery CD-DVD Creator (creates 6 CDs or 1 DVD, once only)

> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005, DaveW
> <moonrover@comcast.remove-this-munge.net> wrote:
>>
>> "David Efflandt" <efflandt@xnet.com> wrote:
>>> If it has a CD or DVD writer, there should be an HP utility in
>>> Windows to
>>> make the recovery tools CD plus either 6 recovery CDs, or 1
>>> recovery DVD.
>>> But it will only allow you to make 1 set. I have HP a530n.
>>
>> Any specifics on that?
>> My research found only 1 other reference to that, absolutely
>> nothing
>> on the HP site about that, and unfortunately nothing on the
>> computer
>> that indicates or even looks like it could create the restore
>> CD's.
>
> Under: Start, All Programs, PC Help & Tools
> HP PC Recovery Tools CD (creates 1 CD)
> HP PC Recovery CD-DVD Creator (creates 6 CDs or 1 DVD, once only)

Must have made changes during the production run.
Closest I can find is "hp application recovery" and "hp system
recovery", and there is no option for making CD's in either program.
:(

Oh well. Thanks for the effort.
Guess I will have to see if I can find a cheap way to burn an image
to CD's.

DaveW wrote:
> "David Efflandt" <efflandt@xnet.com> wrote in message
>
>>On Fri, 25 Mar 2005, DaveW
>><moonrover@comcast.remove-this-munge.net> wrote:

>>>Any specifics on that?
>>>My research found only 1 other reference to that, absolutely
>>>nothing
>>>on the HP site about that, and unfortunately nothing on the
>>>computer
>>>that indicates or even looks like it could create the restore
>>>CD's.
>>
>>Under: Start, All Programs, PC Help & Tools
>>HP PC Recovery Tools CD (creates 1 CD)
>>HP PC Recovery CD-DVD Creator (creates 6 CDs or 1 DVD, once only)
>

> Must have made changes during the production run.
> Closest I can find is "hp application recovery" and "hp system
> recovery", and there is no option for making CD's in either program.
> :(

Probably was there before you restored from the partition. People think
they get back to the original software when they do these restores,
but that frequently isn't the case.

> Oh well. Thanks for the effort.
> Guess I will have to see if I can find a cheap way to burn an image
> to CD's.

Norton (Symantec) Ghost is the tool of choice there. But it won't give
you a clean install, which you ought to do every year or two anyway.

I'd suggest getting a real XP install disk and using that. The computer
will run better without the gigabytes of junkware they load up on systems
like this. I personally use W2K instead of XP, but realize most people
just can't live without the eyecandy, and they're not selling new W2K
licenses anymore.

-Dave

"David Kinsell" <kinsell@poboxyz.com> wrote in message
> DaveW wrote:
>> "David Efflandt" <efflandt@xnet.com> wrote in message

>>>Under: Start, All Programs, PC Help & Tools
>>>HP PC Recovery Tools CD (creates 1 CD)
>>>HP PC Recovery CD-DVD Creator (creates 6 CDs or 1 DVD, once only)
>>

>> Must have made changes during the production run.
>> Closest I can find is "hp application recovery" and "hp system
>> recovery", and there is no option for making CD's in either
>> program. :(
>
> Probably was there before you restored from the partition. People
> think
> they get back to the original software when they do these
> restores,
> but that frequently isn't the case.
>

>> Oh well. Thanks for the effort.
>> Guess I will have to see if I can find a cheap way to burn an
>> image to CD's.
>
> Norton (Symantec) Ghost is the tool of choice there. But it won't
> give
> you a clean install, which you ought to do every year or two
> anyway.
>
> I'd suggest getting a real XP install disk and using that. The
> computer
> will run better without the gigabytes of junkware they load up on
> systems
> like this. I personally use W2K instead of XP, but realize most
> people
> just can't live without the eyecandy, and they're not selling new
> W2K
> licenses anymore.

Believe me... I searched the computer for any way to make restore
CD's, and the internet for information.
Finding little and fearing disks would be needed I first did a
"dirty" restore from the partition but the file structure and
registry was too far gone from virus, Trojans, spy, hijackers (all
cleaned before attempted restore) and the indiscriminate use of a
reg cleaner.

I did learn how to start the restore program at boot and how to get
to the built-in Administrator account in xp so I guess it wasn't a
total loss.... ;-)

After many many hours of trying to "get things right" I gave up,
crossed my fingers and ran the "destructive restore" which is from
what I understand, a format and clean install of the operating
system and OEM programs. Still no "make restore CD" options
available.

Have Ghost but it won't output to a format that OEM Nero will
recognize as an image file. :(

Until now I didn't realize just how sad (security/rights
assignments) XP-Home is in comparison to 2k, but my last build (Dec
04) was on a shoestring budget that could only build a single CPU
machine. At the time I found no reason to spend an extra $100 for
the "Pro" if I had no need for "server functions" or dual CPU
support, XPH could be had for LESS than 2k, and I needed to move up
to better help friends and family that .... well.... this thread
should give you some idea of the stuff they ask me to fix. ;-)

Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 08:41:58 -0700

... People think they get back to the original software when they
do these restores, but that frequently isn't the case.

It has for me Dave, but I don't like the software that comes with new
computers anyway. As I do a clean install and use my own OS and
software. Although I will occasionally use the restore procedure just as
a reminder of why I don't use the software that comes with the computer.

Norton (Symantec) Ghost is the tool of choice there.

Norton used to make very fine software. But somewhere around the end of
the 90's, their software was a big source for PC problems. I haven't
used them since. Have they turned that around yet?

But it won't give you a clean install, which you ought to do every
year or two anyway.

I was listening to the Kim Commando show on the AM radio yesterday. And
she mentioned that there is a guy who does a clean install on a weekly
bases.

I normally don't do clean installs here (except the first time to remove
the stuff that came with the a new computer). And then only when
something like Partition Magic v8 hosed my system partition when I tried
to changed the cluster sizes. But that's okay, as I wanted to move that
120GB HD to another computer anyway. And now was a good excuse to do so
anyway.

I'd suggest getting a real XP install disk and using that. The
computer will run better without the gigabytes of junkware they
load up on systems like this. I personally use W2K instead of XP,
but realize most people just can't live without the eyecandy, and
they're not selling new W2K licenses anymore.

eBay still has many W2K copies available. And that is the OS of my
choice as well. Although I see the time coming that newer software will
require at least XP to run.

Cheers!

Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD & Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within Word 2000

DaveW wrote:
> "David Kinsell" <kinsell@poboxyz.com> wrote in message
>
>>DaveW wrote:
>>
>>>"David Efflandt" <efflandt@xnet.com> wrote in message

>>>Must have made changes during the production run.
>>>Closest I can find is "hp application recovery" and "hp system
>>>recovery", and there is no option for making CD's in either
>>>program. :(
>>
>>Probably was there before you restored from the partition. People
>>think
>>they get back to the original software when they do these
>>restores,
>>but that frequently isn't the case.
>>

>>>Oh well. Thanks for the effort.
>>>Guess I will have to see if I can find a cheap way to burn an
>>>image to CD's.
>>
>>Norton (Symantec) Ghost is the tool of choice there. But it won't
>>give
>>you a clean install, which you ought to do every year or two
>>anyway.
>>
>>I'd suggest getting a real XP install disk and using that. The
>>computer
>>will run better without the gigabytes of junkware they load up on
>>systems
>>like this. I personally use W2K instead of XP, but realize most
>>people
>>just can't live without the eyecandy, and they're not selling new
>>W2K
>>licenses anymore.
>>

> Believe me... I searched the computer for any way to make restore
> CD's, and the internet for information.
> Finding little and fearing disks would be needed I first did a
> "dirty" restore from the partition but the file structure and
> registry was too far gone from virus, Trojans, spy, hijackers (all
> cleaned before attempted restore) and the indiscriminate use of a
> reg cleaner.
>
> I did learn how to start the restore program at boot and how to get
> to the built-in Administrator account in xp so I guess it wasn't a
> total loss.... ;-)
>
> After many many hours of trying to "get things right" I gave up,
> crossed my fingers and ran the "destructive restore" which is from
> what I understand, a format and clean install of the operating
> system and OEM programs. Still no "make restore CD" options
> available.
>
> Have Ghost but it won't output to a format that OEM Nero will
> recognize as an image file. :(

I think you're confused here. Ghost writes an archive in its own
format, directly to the CD writer, which span multiple CD's. Not
all writers are supported. Other CD writing software is not involved.

> Until now I didn't realize just how sad (security/rights
> assignments) XP-Home is in comparison to 2k, but my last build (Dec
> 04) was on a shoestring budget that could only build a single CPU
> machine. At the time I found no reason to spend an extra $100 for
> the "Pro" if I had no need for "server functions" or dual CPU
> support, XPH could be had for LESS than 2k, and I needed to move up
> to better help friends and family that .... well.... this thread
> should give you some idea of the stuff they ask me to fix. ;-)

I feel your pain. Try supporting small business people sometime who
after 20 years of using computers, still don't know how to copy a file,
delete a file, move a file, etc. And they're all computer experts.

Dave

BillW50 wrote:
> "David Kinsell" <kinsell@poboxyz.com> wrote in message
> Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 08:41:58 -0700
>
> ... People think they get back to the original software when they
> do these restores, but that frequently isn't the case.
>
> It has for me Dave, but I don't like the software that comes with new
> computers anyway. As I do a clean install and use my own OS and
> software. Although I will occasionally use the restore procedure just as
> a reminder of why I don't use the software that comes with the computer.
>
> Norton (Symantec) Ghost is the tool of choice there.
>
> Norton used to make very fine software. But somewhere around the end of
> the 90's, their software was a big source for PC problems. I haven't
> used them since. Have they turned that around yet?

They were acquired by Symantec a few years ago. Their virus software is
among the best available. Unfortunately, some of the vendors are trying
to push people into bigger security suites, which tend to be real hogs.

> But it won't give you a clean install, which you ought to do every
> year or two anyway.
>
> I was listening to the Kim Commando show on the AM radio yesterday. And
> she mentioned that there is a guy who does a clean install on a weekly
> bases.

That's on the theory that if one vitamin is good for you, it's even better
to take the whole bottle.

> I normally don't do clean installs here (except the first time to remove
> the stuff that came with the a new computer). And then only when
> something like Partition Magic v8 hosed my system partition when I tried
> to changed the cluster sizes. But that's okay, as I wanted to move that
> 120GB HD to another computer anyway. And now was a good excuse to do so
> anyway.
>
> I'd suggest getting a real XP install disk and using that. The
> computer will run better without the gigabytes of junkware they
> load up on systems like this. I personally use W2K instead of XP,
> but realize most people just can't live without the eyecandy, and
> they're not selling new W2K licenses anymore.
>
> eBay still has many W2K copies available. And that is the OS of my
> choice as well. Although I see the time coming that newer software will
> require at least XP to run.

There's certainly plenty of discs floating around. Valid licenses are
a different matter. Of course someday w2k will be obsoleted, but there's
still plenty of people on '98, and at least in the business world most
stuff still is supported on that. So it will be a while before the need
to retire w2k systems.

-Dave

emergentphoenix

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
HI ..I found a bootable disc called clonezilla that was able to completely clone the entire original hard drive including the recovery partition onto a new drive so all original hp support and recovery options are still available on a new hard drive. Voila! :bounce: