Is this a good gaming rig for the money? (please help!)

hardwarefan21

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
hi all, i've been looking for a gaming rig on a few different sites. i found one for £825. please look at the specs and tell me if it's a good buy. the machine isn't brand new but according to the owner has been used infrequently.

Motherbord: ASUS PQ5 Pro

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9800 @ 4.7GHZ

RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR2 8GB

Graphics Card: 2 x Radeon HD 4850 Sapphire in crossfire mode, w/ crossfire bridge

it comes with a whole bunch of programs already installed such as photoshop 8 and windows 7 ultimate.

what do you guys think? from my limited PC knowledge i know these components are good but i was really only hoping to spend around £500 - however i saw this pc and thought, i may as well spend a few more hundred and possibly not have to upgrade for a long time. i'm mainly looking to play games like crysis on it on max, is this possible?

BeCoolBro

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
Bad deal.For those zou could make a MUCH better custom pc.Post a thread in the new build section using the form provided from the sticky.

hardwarefan21

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
hey thanks for the reply. i checked out the New Build section but didn't know what you meant by "zou"? i'm not looking to build my own PC though

hardwarefan21

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
the point is that the processor definitely exists, as if you google it, people are mentioning it. maybe it isn't on the intel site because they don't make it anymore and the guy bought it when it was available, who knows

hardwarefan21

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
oh right you were playing dumb, very good

what do you think of the rig though mousemonkey? surely the duel 4850s will be awesome for gaming? i'm not seeing how it's a "bad deal" to be honest

BeefBravo

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
I can not find any reliable technical info on the Q9800. The only mentioning of a Q9800 is by retailers on ebay. I'm not saying that it doesn't exist, but without any hard information I would be leary about buying a system with one in it (especially clocked at 4.7GHZ and for that price). The crossfire 4850s would be nice and somewhat impressive, but they are out of date at this point. So IMO, no, for the money this is not a good buy. If it was half as much then maybe, but not at £825 (approximately $1400 USD). You can do better if you shop around or build a system yourself. You could probably order the parts you want and pay someone to build the machine for you for less than this one that you list.

jim001

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
can you tell me where you saw that used PC? I have seen another PC with that processor (Intel Core 2 Quad Q9800 @ 4.7GHZ). I'd be interested to know if it is maybe from the same source...??