Complete lockup after logging in

adambean

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Hey all,

Just recently built a new PC, and every now and then, after a restart, when logging in, I completely lock up. I have the ability to pick which user, and as soon as it loads the desktop, I get the blue waiting icon and 100% lock up. Can't move the mouse, can't Ctr+Alt+Del / Ctrl+Shift+Esc, nothing at all ... have to cold boot.

Brand new Windows 7 x64 install, completely up to date.
Hardware:
- AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban Six-Core Processor
- ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX AMD Motherboard
- XFX HD-587X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5870
- G.SKILL Phoenix Pro Series FM-25S2S-120GBP2 SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
- G.SKILL Ripjaws Series DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

My video card and HDD are all up to date with all appropriate updates. Have not yet done the mobo as I haven't really looked into it yet being that the windows version (ASUSUpdate) does not appear to be working. Running off the drivers that came in the box.

The system is no more than 2 days old and has no viruses/spyware or anything dumb like that happening. My initial thought it something with the SSD as I've never experienced a full lock up like this, and this consistently. I beileve I had the same issue prior to switching the SSD over to AHCI.

I have not found anything relevant what so ever in the event viewer. I've also created a brand new user to ensure it wasn't something perhaps with a corrupt profile, but the same problem persisted when logging in the first time as a different user. I have 30 days to return any of this hardware, so hopefully I can figure this out sooner rather than later.

Thanks in advance

adambean

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Hi Jonmor68,

What memory test(s) would you recommend?

About the SATA connection. I have 6 main SATA connections on the mobo and in bios, they're all set to AUTO. Should I change this to 6gb? I left it on auto as I have other SATA connections (DVDRW and another HDD).

Thanks