Sign in with
Your question

Why can't we all play together?

Last response: in Video Games
January 10, 2011 5:51:23 PM

So how hard can it be?
Why don't the dev's of the games we all love to play, enable various formats to all play together? Why didn't EA write BFBC2 so that xbox360, ps3 and pc can all frag each other on the same server. I know that all the processing power is handled at the client end so all the server should have to worry about is positional data like who is where and what bullets are doing etc. Am I right or am I vastly underestimating what the server side does? The consoles and PC's all use the same network language for data transmission TCP /UDP so why can't all these great games be played together as one glorious nerdy community.
There are always flame wars about consoles being just as good as pc for control use / skill, so if this is the case why not do it as there would be no advantage for any player connecting.
If it is to do with revenue streams then maybe it could be run as a subscription service a bit like Steam on consoles, you all connect through "GamerNet" and play on the same server, all for the low low price of... a tenner a month?
Could Sony, Microsoft and the Dev's all play nice with each other or is this all a stupid dream.....
Cheers

More about : play

January 10, 2011 6:02:54 PM

microsoft did try this with the xbox, but the difference between players skill levels was too high. They showed that an above average console player is about as good as an average pc player.
Related resources
January 10, 2011 10:18:58 PM

This is not to say that console players should not at least be able to play together. It would be a lot more fun to not have to have the same console to play the same game.
January 24, 2011 5:11:28 PM

At least we could have a choice? That way we could just rack up more stats. :D 
January 25, 2011 6:06:23 AM

Portal 2 is enabling us to play with eachother due to different platforms.. Although I bet computer gamers do have a genuine advantage using the mouse for aiming!
January 25, 2011 8:23:06 AM

jefe323 said:
microsoft did try this with the xbox, but the difference between players skill levels was too high. They showed that an above average console player is about as good as an average pc player.

That's not quite what happened. They pitted mouse against joystick. No contest. It was not about skill, it's about one side being severely handicapped. Playing shooters on a console is only tolerable because everybody has the same disadvantage.

Reminds me of back in the day... I new a dude who played Quake using the freakin' keyboard to turn (no mouse). Because he'd always played against mediocre players, he never realized his disadvantage, nor how good he was to hold his own against them. Then he came by my work and played (game company, LAN game going 24/7). I completely wiped the floor with him, he switched to the mouse, and before long was one of the most feared players in our games.
!