PS3 audio problem--speakers reversed

lgelleman

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
Hi,

A little bit of setup before I get to my question:
I'm running both a computer and a PS3 through an ASUS VE276Q monitor. The monitor has a DVI-in, and HDMI-in, a 3.5mm audio-in and a 3.5mm audio-out. For the computer, I'm using the DVI-in and audio-in to get sound. For the PS3, I'm using HDMI for both audio and video. For the audio-out, I'm using a 3.5mm-to-RCA cord to hook it into my all-in-one stereo.

Now here's my question: I game on both the PC and the PS3. I noticed yesterday that when I play the PS3, the audio on the speakers is reversed-- for example, if a noise happens on the right, I hear it come out of the left speaker. I've tried this on multiple games on the PS3 and the sound is consistently switched. Whereas when I play a game on the PC, the sound is fine. Is there some kind of audio setting or connection issue that I'm missing here? I haven't been able to find any threads of people with a similar problem.

Thanks a lot!

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
You are going to an rca cord? Possibly the plugs are in the wrong spots? Try reversing the rca plugs and see if it goes, or just use the connector with rca plugs that came with the ps3 and plug directly into your stereo, and configure the ps3 to push audio through that connection but still use hdmi for video. Ive got mine hooked to a monitor hdmi to hdmi and and speakers from there to rca adapter to pc speakers.

lgelleman

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
Thanks for the tip. I had no idea that when going from 3.5mm to RCA that reversing the plugs made a difference. Switching them did fix the sound on my PS3... but now my PC sound is reversed! So weird... Anyway, seeing as how I only have one RCA input on my stereo, I guess I can get an RCA splitter/piggyback cord, and then use the original PS3 cable like you were saying. Seems so inelegant, though :) Wonder why my PC and PS3 have "reverse audio" to each other?