Blocking URLs in XP

Acert93

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
I am trying to block URLs for a specific user in Windows XP (SP2). I tested some parental control software, but they tend to go the block everything route and only allow specified content. I am looking for the reverse. I just want to block a handful of URLs, perferably at the Windows User level.

I could live without blocking at the user level if this was easily enabled/disabled.

Btw, I run AVG for my anti-virus and am using my router for a firewall. I have windows Firewall disabled and mainly use IE, although if such a feature could be found in another browser that would be fine.

Thanks for your time and suggestions.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You can edit (by Notepad) the file called <b><font color=red>host</b></font color=red> (w/o any extension) in <b>Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc</b>.
Here is an example of the file,
#############################################################

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# <i><font color=red>The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space</i></font color=red>.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

############################################################

You can block some websites by redirecting them to null IP 127.0.0.1. For example, if you want to block www.kaaza.com, www.hornygirls.com, add them below the last line (remember, 1 line for each one)
127.0.0.1 www.kazaa.com
127.0.0.1 www.hornygirls.com
<b><font color=blue>NOTE</b></font color=blue>: when saving it, making sure it has no extension at all because Notepad tends to add the extension .txt.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

Acert93

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
Wow! Thanks man!

Is there a way to enable/disable these changes based on the boot I am?

Here is the reason why... I know, this sounds stupid :p I have three Users on my computer, one is a "WORK" user and another a "GAME" user and another is a "SCHOOL" user. My problem is on my non-game boots I sometimes take a break from studying or working and end up reading forums ::ahem:: and 5 minute break turns into 2 hours :) So I wanted to limit my Work access so I could not go to sites like Toms... I know, that is really stupid ("Why not just exersize self control?!" you ask... well, I cannot overcome my precious :( ::sniffle::).

Joking aside, is there a way to do this? Thanks for you help!! That was a great/easy suggestion you pointed out!

TRENDING THREADS