A7V and adding USB ports

eburies

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have an A7V rev 1.02 board. I have installed the additional 3port usb module that comes with the mobo, but now I am considering adding two more USB ports to make it a total of 7. The packaging of the A7V states that it can handle 7 USB ports but I'm not sure how to hook the two port add-on I purchased. The new add-on port I purchased has two 5 pin female ends but I'm not sure where they go on the mobo. I only have a four pin and five pin male that I can see on the mobo.

Anyone able to hookup more than five USB ports on their A7V?

G

on the bottom of your mainboard where you hooked up your 3 additional usb ports are there three groups of jummpers labeled usbport, usb3a, and usb3?

who is more foolish...
the fool, or the fool that takes his advice?

eburies

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes, there are three jumpers labeled usbport, usb3a, and usb3. Usbport and usb3a are being used by the add-on that came with the A7V. What type of other add-on USB two-port can I buy that will work? Or should the one I saw that had two 5 pin female ends work?

G

the one with two 5 pin connectors should work BUT you will probably have to rearrange the way the wires set in the connectors. page 41 in the manual shows the correct pinout but i am still trying to figure out how it relates to the usb port.

who is more foolish...

G

got it if you look at the usb with the four contacts facing down it is from left to right usb power, usb power-, usb power+, grnd

who is more foolish...

eburies

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I really appreciate the explanation. When I get home tonight I'll give it a try and post what type of success I have. Thanks for the time you put into this endeavor.

G

you're welcome.
i enjoyed doing the research.
good luck!

who is more foolish...

eburies

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
No luck adding a two port usb connector. I hooked up the two five pin connectors to the USB3 port and then the outer two USB ports (from the 3 port USB that was supplied by Asus) no longer are active and the two new USB ports don't work either. If I have an item hooked up to the new USB ports when I first turn it on, and have items hooked up to the two outer ports on the three port hub; the item plugged into the new port works and the others items are not recognized. If I unplug the new item when Win98 SE is up and running, when I plug it back into the new USB slot it now longer works.

I plugged in the 5 pin connector with the red wire to the left on both connectors. And I have reversed them just to see what would happen but no luck. I even switched the gray 9 pin connector that was hooked up to my 3 port USB hub to the USB3 jumper but then the two outer USB ports on my 3 port hub didn't work.

Would someone else like to move their 9 pin gray cable to the USB3 jumpers and see if all three of their USB ports work?

I'm not sure exactly what is wrong: did I do something wrong or not. I have enabled the extra USB ports in the bios and asked the bios to reset the configuration data but that didn't help either.

I am using 1005c bios but have also used 1005b and 1005a.

Any suggestions?

G

did you rearrange the wires in the five pin connector?
i believe that the way most are configured are 3 wires space and then 1 wire. also in control panel, system do you show to have more than two usb hubs?

who is more foolish...

eburies

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
No, I had not rearranged the wires in the five pin connector but I will try that. The five pin connector that came with the A7V looks like the way you described what I should do to the two five-pin connectors. I will give it a try.

When I had hooked up the connectors, I believe that I had three usb hubs (one was a "generic usb hub").

I'll try it and see what happens!