Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Best graphics in a PC game currently?

Last response: in Video Games
January 12, 2011 6:58:32 PM

I've been playing Mass Effect 2 a lot recently and it has the best graphics I've seen to date (except for perhaps Crysis, but I like ME2's graphics better). Any other ideas? I really want to use my computer to it's fullest with the new 6870 I just put in it.

More about : graphics game

January 13, 2011 8:31:40 PM

Metro 2033 is the reigning king at the moment.
January 14, 2011 4:12:54 PM

Try Just Cause 2
Related resources
January 14, 2011 8:52:17 PM

www.thehunter.com

Uses an earlier version of the just cause 2 engine, the avalanche engine. However it looks quite good albeit suffers from some LOD issues.

However, I have only played ME1 and it ain't going to win any awards so each to their own.
January 19, 2011 1:55:58 PM

The Best graphics upto date has to be Crysis. Still I just think that it can't be beaten , because not even the GTX 580 was able to run at a solid 30 FPS, at full HD and beyond resolutions at very high. Same goes with Metro 2033
January 24, 2011 3:33:02 AM

Quote:
Still I just think that it can't be beaten, because not even the GTX 580 was able to run at a solid 30 FPS

I could write a shitty, 2d flash game that'll run at 5 FPS, will that make me the graphics king? :) 

I imagine if you let someone like Carmack at the Crysis engine for a month, he could have it screaming on modern GPUs.
January 24, 2011 2:57:41 PM

EricTetz said:
Quote:
Still I just think that it can't be beaten, because not even the GTX 580 was able to run at a solid 30 FPS

I could write a shitty, 2d flash game that'll run at 5 FPS, will that make me the graphics king? :) 

I imagine if you let someone like Carmack at the Crysis engine for a month, he could have it screaming on modern GPUs.

Haha,
I totally agree. The code is soo dirty in Crysis. There are so many newer games out there that look better and run faster than Crysis and Warhead. Heck Just Cause 2 looks way better and runs silky smooth and it's explosions are better, game world's bigger and physics/destruction levels are more impressive.
January 25, 2011 6:16:38 AM

Most high end GPUs since 4 series ATI can max crysis w/o AA, and 5+ series AA can be maxed as well (this is not including crossfire/dual GPU).

Crysis isn't really that hard to run, it was just a little ahead of its time. Yes it's hard, but yes it's beautiful and has a LOT of sh*t going on. You can't find a game with textures as deep and foliage as beautiful.

To be honest I wish game developers would push the envelope like that more. Games are barely progressing and people are still maxing new games on their 4k ATI series cards.
January 25, 2011 12:34:38 PM

It all depends what fancies your eyes. I was a huge sucker for Crysis but bias aside, I'd have to agree with Metro 2033 (though it'll make your rig sweat).

If you like jungle scenes then FarCry 2 was quite nice at times (though it clearly doesn't beat Crysis).

If you like ME2 graphics (space seens and all) then you might like Dead Space (which is IMO a really great game).

Though, if you want ideas, just look at nominees of "Best Graphics for PC" of 2009 & 2010 and you should get a good idea.
January 26, 2011 5:18:25 AM

Well, Cryengine 2 was made for the outside world, jungles. The game can be maxed out by the high end GPUs out there. But seriously, don't you guys think about the texture detail in crysis. I had played Just Cause 2. The game had a huge view distance but with very little detail over objects that were far off. The game was nice though

Oh , and I agree with Alex
January 26, 2011 5:25:32 AM

alienzander76 said:
Haha,
it's explosions are better, game world's bigger and physics/destruction levels are more impressive.

Its explosions are almost the same throughout like Crysis. Don't you agree? Just Cause 2, has better explosions , but it has the same animation
January 26, 2011 1:22:20 PM

They are very similar in terms of visual effect. I think I'm impressed by Just Cause 2 because it looks soo good yet runs silky smooth on my old Alienware m15x-R1 with 9800GT whereas Crysis chokes here and there on the same rig. There is some compromise in the engine I've noticed. Although Just Cause 2 has a greater view distance than Crysis, it tends to give a little in up close textures. But the fact that in JC2 you can go from walking along a street to jumping in a plane then taking off into the skies and seeing for 20 miles and then free falling back to earth in a matter of seconds is very impressive. Thats something that kind of takes you back. Not many game engines handle such drastic changes in perspesctive fluidly. Not to mention there is absolutely no transitions while in game during your adventures. I can traverse the entire world, hopping in and out of vehicles and perspectives and not encounter any load screens or slowdowns. They did a great job with that engine in my opinion. More developers need to take notice with what they accomplished.
January 27, 2011 4:09:20 AM

Knight Online has superior 3D graphics that creates a very realistic online game experience. Even Sword of the New World has great graphics and has won awards for the same. G1 Credits which helps to get premiums for these games make the game experience more awesome.
January 27, 2011 10:53:34 PM

Metro 2033 has the best graphics i have seen and enjoyed the gameplay alot more than Crysis.
January 28, 2011 12:19:45 PM

Metro 2033 is possibly the best graphically enhanced game on the market at the moment, as the engine is much more stable than crysis.

However World of Warcraft is looking rather pretty these days on high end computers :) .
March 1, 2011 11:18:20 AM

I think Bad Company 2 owns those games in detail
March 1, 2011 1:32:04 PM

Yeah, Bad Company 2 does have great detail, better than any game I've seen lately. Have you guys seen the Battlefield 3 trailer( gameplay ). Frost Bite 2 engine really seems to deliver mindblowing visuals. Still, its just a trailer, and so I can't really guess the final version graphics.
March 1, 2011 3:18:37 PM

Also ^ Bulletstorm ..
March 1, 2011 5:08:00 PM

Jonathern said:
I think Bad Company 2 owns those games in detail

Amen to that.
March 1, 2011 5:12:45 PM

Bad Company 2 overall I think is probably the best. Considering the destructible environments, and all the other effects with dust and debris. Run that sucker on DX11 with a good video card and its a treat. Crysis lokked pretty dang good considering how crappy it runs on just about ne thing. I haven't tried Metro 2033 yet but its screen shots looks really nice.

BC2 I think is the best so far, also taking into consideration that the multi-player runs extremely smooth for all the stuff thats going on.
March 1, 2011 5:42:17 PM

Yeah, Crysis, Just Cause 2, BFBC2, Metro 2033, and too some extent FC2, all have good graphics and look pretty @ 1080p 8X AA 16x AF. Stalker CoP also has great outdoor visuals.

The only game my rig has trouble maxing is Metro 2033. If i turn on MSAA 4X, it starts to hurt @ 1080p because Metro favors the nVidia cards but with AAA its hits 50ish with DoF/Tesselation on. Where Crysis is usually over 60.
March 2, 2011 3:36:45 AM

Trialsking said:
Yeah, Crysis, Just Cause 2, BFBC2, Metro 2033, and too some extent FC2, all have good graphics and look pretty @ 1080p 8X AA 16x AF. Stalker CoP also has great outdoor visuals.

The only game my rig has trouble maxing is Metro 2033. If i turn on MSAA 4X, it starts to hurt @ 1080p because Metro favors the nVidia cards but with AAA its hits 50ish with DoF/Tesselation on. Where Crysis is usually over 60.

Leave all you settings maxed out on metro 2033 just turn off one thing "DOF" Why because i have the game and as soon as i did that my FPS went back to how its meant to be played,lol,Also the game will look like its in DX11 so give it a try.
March 2, 2011 3:44:06 AM

Games will only get better from now on yes we get the odd ports here, budget games there.

But read up about the new releases and get those vids, pics. I still believe BFBC2,3 will own any other game unless they make an engine that does overthrow frostbite.
March 3, 2011 6:34:33 PM

Did you guys see the tech demo of CryEngine 3? HOLY MONKEY BALLS!

Looks even better than CryEngine 2!
March 4, 2011 10:53:54 PM

Gman450 said:
The Best graphics upto date has to be Crysis. Still I just think that it can't be beaten , because not even the GTX 580 was able to run at a solid 30 FPS, at full HD and beyond resolutions at very high. Same goes with Metro 2033

What a joke! yeah.. Mabe Crysis doesnt run at 30 fps if your using a massive 1600P monitor but at 1080P I get a solid 60 fps without any drops under 30 fps with a 2600K processor.
March 5, 2011 3:13:07 AM

most of you people are having a discussion based on illicit detail.

you really need to decipher what you are talking about before you start having a vote.

what needs to be deciphered:
- do you like games with lots of tessellation and a load of bumps on the textures?
- do you prefer games with lots of graphic detail, regardless of how much tessellation and bumps the environment has?

bulletstorm has a load of tessellation and bumps on everything.
but the actual color accuracy of the pictures that wrap the wired 3D models are mediocre and dull.
the final result feels highly fake and cartoonish, all because of the shade of colors they decided to use.

the developers might have wanted to make the graphics look fake and cartoonish.
and it is your right to enjoy the massive amount of bumps rather than a step towards photo-realism.

a standard needs to be made.
because photo-realism provides 'graphic' content in an invisible method.
its when your brain starts to dive into the screen and you get an altered sense of environment.

cartoon 'graphic' content is not invisible.
all of the extra wires and bumps in the textures are seen, pointed at, and claimed as 'graphic'

those two different uses of the word 'graphic' are used extremely differently.

one might consider all of the extra wires a 'seasoning' like salt or pepper on food.
another might consider the brain being tricked into thinking its in a new environment as 'seasoning'
March 5, 2011 11:28:36 PM

Crysis Warhead is still number 1 visually though Metro 2033 is a close 2nd
1. Crysis Warhead
2. Metro 2033
3. Crysis
4. BFBC 2
5. Call of Juarez Bound in Blood (seriously good texture work)
6. Batman Arkham Asylum
7. Just Cause 2
8. Far Cry 2

I think many games look absolutely gorgeous but these 8 are the ones that stand out to me. I am probly forgetting a game or 2 that might replace some on my list but I can not remember them at the moment.
March 13, 2011 3:45:42 PM

Aside from Crysis, the two most intensive games I own are Metro 2033 and Just Cause 2. Looking through my Steam collection, I don't have anything else that compares from a graphics stand point. I still can't max out GTA4 but JC2 alone looks better.
March 17, 2011 12:09:55 PM

Have you've seen epic games unreal 3 engine? my god, it looks nice
March 17, 2011 12:43:49 PM

Metro 2033 hands down... I would say it owns Crysis in the graphics department. Metro 2033 brings my machine to a halt if I max the settings whilst Crysis does not. That being said it's hard to compare Crysis to Metro 2033 just because one deals with a jungle setting while the other deals with a post apocolyptic dark world. However if we are judging by just how NPC's look then Metro 2033 wins no questions asked.

I suppose the true test would be building a custom jungle map in Metro 2033 and seeing how it looks. Just my 2 cents.
May 2, 2011 9:57:37 PM

HellooOooooO why no one mentioned ASSASSINS CREED 2 or brotherhood?
it's the most graphical game after crysis
May 3, 2011 11:20:47 PM

Alex The PC Gamer said:
Did you guys see the tech demo of CryEngine 3? HOLY MONKEY BALLS!

Looks even better than CryEngine 2!

That would depend on how CryEngine 3 is implemented in a game.

That engine is used on Crysis 2 and people have been complaining about the graphics in that game.
May 4, 2011 4:31:26 PM

jaguarskx said:
That would depend on how CryEngine 3 is implemented in a game.

That engine is used on Crysis 2 and people have been complaining about the graphics in that game.

I've seen pretty good tech demos of the CryEngine 2...and if you pushed both to the limit, it probably comes down to who designs it.

But if you take a look at the tech demo below (CryEngine 3 for Cinema), you got to admit, CryEngine 3 has got some pretty nice features that CryEngine 2 didn't have...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4nRzeNeka4
May 8, 2011 2:08:42 AM

I recently bought a new system that can run Crysis Warhead at 2560x1440 with everything maxed out. Everything.

I can't imagine anything better graphically. Mass Effect 2 at that rez looks nice but very bare bones in comparison. A fun thing to do if you get a new system is go back to Crysis/Crysis Warhead (I played them on lesser setting a couple years ago) and play them on easy mode just to take a tour of the graphics. Fun stuff.
May 9, 2011 2:14:15 PM

dmblum said:
I recently bought a new system that can run Crysis Warhead at 2560x1440 with everything maxed out. Everything.

I can't imagine anything better graphically. Mass Effect 2 at that rez looks nice but very bare bones in comparison. A fun thing to do if you get a new system is go back to Crysis/Crysis Warhead (I played them on lesser setting a couple years ago) and play them on easy mode just to take a tour of the graphics. Fun stuff.

Yes there is...Crysis mods will take it even further...check out these mods!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shZzYkpl5Nk

Do yourself a favour and watch it in 1080p.

Cheers.
May 20, 2011 3:03:14 AM

People think that just because a game was actually developed properly, the graphics are crap, this is not true, shure crysis and metro 2033 choke all but a 3 way 580 sli and I7 extreme setup but that isnt because there graphics are great, thats because they are coded like ***, people assume they look better because they choke up there systems, get real people, the only reason they seem better is because you have more time to stare at indevidual frames every time they choke up.
none the less screw all those games im waiting for Battlefield 3, because its being made right, and being ported to the consoles, not the other way arround
B3=pc -graphics to the consoles
other games= consoles+graphics to pc
August 20, 2011 7:38:16 AM

Metro 2033 is reigning champ. Battlefield 3 will be the new champ as it looks in trailers. Can't wait!
August 20, 2011 1:52:59 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!