FPS drops in "WoW" with really good computer

G

Yo everyone reading this and taking time to maybe come up with a solution for me.
Just some few weeks ago I decided to get a new computer since going hardcore pve raiding in World of Warcraft(Cataclysm).
I bought separates parts and started to build the computer myself:

AXP PowerSupply (PSU) 630W V. 2.20 SLI Ready

Asus - Socket 1366 - ATX Intel X58 (P6TD DELUXE) - DDR3 / PCI-E / SATA

Corsair 80GB Force Series F80 Intern SATA II 2.5" (SSD)
(Windows 7 + WoW installed here)

Corsair XMS3 Vengeance 4GB DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz (1X4GB) (CL9) (CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9)

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 480 1536MB (GV-N480D5-15I-B) - PCI-E / 2xDVI

Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz / 8MB / Socket 1366 (Boxed)
(Overclocked to 3.6GHz)

Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB (IntelliPower / 64MB Cache / SATA II / NCQ)

D-Link Nätverkskort DGE-528T 10/100/1000 (PCI)

I play with best graphic possible aswell as everything maxed which shouldnt be any problem whatsoever I think.
The problem I have is that I do FPS drop some few times in 10man raiding and way more often in 25man raiding. I really cant find the problem on my own since this is far the best computer I have add and I havnt had FPS drops with earlier worse computers. I have of course looked into the problem as much as I can and nothing else seems to be wrong.

Also when starting up programs its kinda get stuck for like 5 seconds and then it starts up.

Really looking forward to some answers if you guys got some tips/solutions.

Thanks

Daman2009

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Your specs are fine, it probably either one of two things:

1) Check your internet connection speed make sure its running up to speed, ( if in doubt, google broadband speed checker and use any one of them ),

2) Before running WOW, check what programs are running in the background and also make sure that you havn't got an antivirus program scanning your machine for viruses as you are playing.

Or its just internet lag due to their servers ( which cant be helped ).

Unwanted programs in the background.
Click 'start' and 'run'. Type 'msconfig' ( works for all versions of windows ).
Goto the startup tab and get rid of any programs there that you dont need i.e qttask ( quicktime ), adobe ARM ( adobe ) etc etc. And disable them, dont delete them just in case something doesnt work after restarting.
These items you dont necassarly need to run in the background and will save you some memory. Once you have done this, restart your machine and try it again.

Let me know if this helps!

P.S Download a free program called ccleaner ( at ccleaner.com ). This will remove ALL unwanted crap from your machine. Old downloads history, cache etc.

noble

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Daman suggested nice information. I will add that IMHO WoW is badly programmed and does exhibit some occasional stuttering no matter what your system specs are. I will also recommend to try and enable DirectX11 if not already done so, as it boosts performance according to tom's hardware.

ADD the following line to config.wtf file found in "WTF" folder in Wow directory to enable

SET gxApi "d3d11"

Maybe it will help even if a little to your FPS drops...

G

I now followed your advice Daman and did the following, checked my broadband which is perfectly fine, 100MB Fiber with no problems at all which I already knew.

Doesnt have a single program installed more or less then WoW.
I did thou doublecheck and nothing else running then WoW + necessary comp stuff.
Will try Cleaner but I dont think it will do much different since I doesnt have anything installed and almost nothing downloaded so shouldnt be much history there.
Gonna try the SET gxAPI "d3d11" command that you recommended noble.

As you mentioned serverlag I am sure there is but I dont see why I am the only one in the guild FPS dropping when I really shouldnt be alone doing it in that case.