Sign in with
Your question

Why is everyone so anti VIA???

Last response: in Motherboards
January 23, 2001 1:35:16 AM

Why is everyone so anti VIA???

I have only owned 4 computer (that’s counting my C64)and my latest (A7V Tbird900 @ 1 Gig) is the first AMD and VIA chipset I have owned. I am very happy with this setup, and it is more stable then my old Gateway PII300 (PD440FX chipset).
Why dose everybody hate VIA?
Did there chipsets suck before the A7V?
Thx & Cya

More about : anti

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2001 1:45:06 AM

The thing with VIA, don't get me wrong as all four of my current computers have VIA chipsets, is that release chipsets with inoperable features, or features that do not perform correctly, etc... They also are not very compatible for the most part with a lot of hardware on the market, and in doing so have created a reputation as a fair company with a good product. Try as they may to release driver revisions to get a system stable and compatible, but they still have issues. The main problem about this is the VIA chipsets are the core of the system, not just a sound card or modem that won't work, but the heart of it really. See the issue. I like to back the underdog, like AMD, but every company in the market right now has products that do not perform as they should, like ATI, Cyrix/VIA, etc...
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2001 3:04:46 AM

People are annoyed because the Athlons are so good and the via chipsets let them down so poorly,Via really needs to get thier act together and solve the problems, If the via chipsets worked properly then there would be dozens less posts on these sites

Life is a lesson, You learn it when youre through
Related resources
January 23, 2001 4:00:21 AM

You know, I've had VIA chipsets since the K6 came out and NEVER had a problem. I've been from the K6, to the K6-2, to the K7 (KX133). Far as I can tell they've made very stable chipsets. Maybe I'm lucky. Now, I will admit that I'm using the ALi Magik 1 right now for my T-bird, but only cause VIA doesn't have a DDR chipset out yet.

-MP Jesse
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2001 6:20:42 AM

Dunno jess, It seems that there are too many with problems for all them to be doing something wrong, I have 3 sys all running Pentiums,but I will build a Athlon later this year, and I hope I dont have the probs that a lot of the posters are having
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2001 7:13:54 AM

I poisoned the well. I told people the truth. Read all my post concerning them, I don't feel like going over it agian. It's nice to see that people are finally starting to put the blame where it belongs, instead of blaming the manufacturers of their cards.

Suicide is painless...........
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2001 7:42:36 AM

The compatibility issues with VIA are unacceptable. When you by a MOBO and the specs say it comes with 2 usb ports and a header for 2 additional ports you expect to be able to use these ports.
I love my new system: kt7-raid,Duron 700@1050,128meg ram, etc,etc,etc. what I hate is spending 3 days trying to get a usb port to work so I can use my DSL gateway! Then having to spend $35 on a usb card, that came with Via chips, and having it work within 15 minutes. Why can't they fix these issues so everything works together? How many 4in1 revisions will they need to get it right?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2001 10:05:14 AM

I also have three PCs with VIA chipsets. I had a strange hard drive performance problem with one of them, which was since resolved (no idea what caused or fixed it). But that's the only problem I've had so far. All three are overclocked and running fine.

From what I've read, it does seem that the VIA chipsets, particularly before the Apollo Pro 133A are overly buggy...or something. And there seems to be intermittant compatibility issues I hear about with later chipsets. I know that others disagree with me, but I still think motherboard qualiity plays a roll with this. I won't get into that as I think many of us have already commented on iit in other posts that asked questions like yours.

I probably would have gone with Intel chipsets when I built these PCs, but at that time, Intel had had no viable alternative. It looks like the recent I-815 boards are pretty good. And I'm really tempted to try one...but I don't need a new PC right now.

You need to keep in mind that much of what you read here is someone's opinion, <b>perhaps</b> backed by their own experiences. But that doesn't necessarily mean that it's "the truth." It seems that especially technical people have a tendency to state their opinion as fact, when in truth it's not...or <i>may</i> not be. In other words, take what you read with a grain of salt, so to speak, even if it is presented as "truth." And don't waste your effort arguing as you'll never win against someone who's "got religion."

Mike
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2001 1:38:43 PM

Hey, I like this. When I first got on this board, nobody would admit that VIA had problems, or blamed the problems on inexperienced assembly. Good to hear someone will finally back me up!

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2001 1:51:11 PM

And just how well is that running. What rev did you get.

Take Care.
If money was no object, how could you spend it!
January 23, 2001 2:13:41 PM

They have Memory issues. They also have 1/2 of the athlons problems are cause of VIA.

Cel 533 - 256mb sdram
15gb HD - ati radeon 32mb ddr (200/200)
SB live! mp3+ - win98 Beos
January 23, 2001 4:17:30 PM

My Tbird-900 system was my first experience with a VIA chipset and I don't think I'll buy VIA again. After countless BIOS and VIA 4in1 driver updates it works as it should but to me it wasn't worth the hassle. I don't mind going online as soon as I buy a product and downloading the latest BIOS/Firmware/Drivers but doing it week after week after week is a bit ridiculous. I think this chipset was released before VIA worked out the bugs just to capture the market. The A7V had 4 PCB revisions and 7 BIOS revisions in three months and I think that is inexcusable. That's worse then Microsoft.

But then again some people say the same things about ATI and I've never had a problem with them (reading Hobbit's posts make you think ATI cards will jump out of the case and stab you to death). On my PIII-500 / Asus P3B-F (440BX) with my ATI Rage Fury I've never updated the m/b BIOS and I've only downloaded a newer ATI driver once.

Maybe all the VIA bugs are worked out now and people can buy those newer revision boards with the new drivers and everything will work as it should - I don't know. Then again when I read about the new VIA southbridge 686B performance issues I tend to think that VIA still hasn't sorted everything out.

So "why is everyone so anti VIA???" I'd say because if you look through all the posts in the "Motherboards and Chipsets" forum probably 90% of the problems people have are on VIA based motherboards.

- JW
January 23, 2001 5:11:44 PM

I moved my cousins K6-2 from a Tourbled VIA mobo to a ALi mobo Works fine no problems at all strange isnt it.

Cel 533 - 256mb sdram
January 23, 2001 6:49:28 PM

The reason why everyone here so anti VIA, is because practically everyone here has one.

This new forum sucks
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2001 7:57:39 PM

This thread almost makes me feel like my 440BX mobo is a knight in shining armor.

We should put pressure on Intel to manufacture a chipset supporting Athlon ;-)

- Better go Green than Blue!
January 23, 2001 8:29:07 PM

440BX rocks

- JW
January 23, 2001 9:21:32 PM

All hail the 440bx the finest chipset out for 3 years.

Cel 533 - 256mb sdram
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2001 9:26:09 PM

Even with all the problems with the chipset, Duron is WAY better then a celeron or PIII. We love the performance of this processor!
January 23, 2001 10:46:45 PM

how do you define "WAY" in terms of stability, usability and feasibilty?

- Amd Helpdesk -
January 23, 2001 11:53:34 PM

I really want to build a T-Bird system baaad! But, I won't. I can't say why I refuse to built an Athlon system, but I'll give you a hint - it's initials are VIA. This has got to be the worst chipset ever made, but am grateful for it because 70% of the business I've gotten in the last 4 months has been fixing (a.k.a updating & re-updating *hehe*) VIA systems owned by anyone who is anything short of a hardware guru. The ASUS A7V IMHO is the most over rated mobo ever. Even after continually servicing pc's with this board I still get stumped because of all the different board revisions & bios revisions....enough to make one think this board has been on the market for years.
Personally I believe the current crop of AMD cpu's may go down in history as potential classic's but ones that never were really fully exploited because of VIA's crippling chipsets. Thank God I can still by "new" BX boards that support ATA100 & even RAID. My PIII/ABIT(440BX)/NT4.0 system was pretty much the only pc that didn't hang during a 9 hour long Counter-Strike/UT/QIII LAN party. Yes, you bet I let all the VIA boys "have it" after every ctrl+alt+del they performed.
January 24, 2001 2:28:56 AM

OK I'll bite.
Why was / is the 440BX so great?
What was / is the best board with that chipset?
Sounds kinda old

<font color=red>Sumadin</font color=red>

<font color=blue>"A mind is a terrible thing"</font color=blue>
a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2001 2:38:47 AM

Teh BX was the most stable and most compatable chipset ever produced. It was replaced by the 820, but since no one wanted to use Rambus the 820 was Displaced by the 815 in the marketplace. While the BX is still considered the best ever, the 815E has 99% of its quality and compatability plus newer features.

January 24, 2001 3:18:16 AM

I don't know the revision off hand- but the BIOS date is Nov. 8th 2000... I can get the revision when I get back into my case to overclock a little more. Anyhow, It runs rock solid. The only problem I had was the board was shipped to me with a bad battery- had to get the board replaced... they overnighted a new one to me though =)

-MP Jesse
January 24, 2001 4:41:33 AM

Sumadin:

The best board with the 440BX chipset?
Well, I'd say the best board was the Asus P3B-F (slot 1) but let's not leave out the Asus CUBX (FC-PGA), the Abit BM6 (FC-PGA), and the Abit BE6 (slot 1). The BE6 was so succesful that they made a BE6-II, and that was so well received they are now making a BE6-II V2.0 (slot 1, raid)

If you want a new BX board the BE6-II V2.0 is probably the one to get. It'll take up to a PIII-1000E cC0 and includes the Highpoint 370 ATA100 raid controller.

Read this article where Tom runs an Asus P3B-F (440BX) overclocked to 133FSB against 5 815/815E based boards: http://www.tomshardware.com/mainboard/00q3/000706/index...

- JW
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2001 4:58:27 AM

I have an A7V, and I've played counterstrike for 14 hours on it, and i leave it on for days. i've had uptimes of 20 days in mandrake which was doing all sorts of different things and it only went down cause i had to unplug it to bring it back home. I've updated the bios twice, the first time cause Asus offered the option to stop the promise bios from trying to load up ( i wasn't using it ), and the second cause i felt like having 1005c instead of 1004d. A lot of instablity seems to be caused by people improperly using windows, which is bad enough by itself. Although i very rarely leave it on linux for more than 3 days, it has never crashed while running linux, only while using windows. makes me think that it's more of a software issue than a hardware. You mentioned you were using NT4.0, what was everyone else using during that lan party? I've never used NT or 2000,but they're supposed to be more stabel than the DOS based ones. Plus you seem to be technically knowledgeable and thus you probably have your system configured correctly.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2001 12:31:30 PM

Did you skip the 810 on purpose?

- Better go Green than Blue!
January 24, 2001 9:24:11 PM

Cause VIA sucks.
a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2001 10:41:53 PM

I can't find any problems with the 810 except the onboard video sucks, and no AGP port support. So that chipset is no more relevant to this forum than those silly SIS integrated video chipsets, which they were made to compete against. I would take the 810 over the SIS. But neither one is relavent to the forum since they are made for a different market.

January 24, 2001 11:44:49 PM

Dont forget the BP6 first and only dual s370 celeron Mobo using the 440bx. Intel got pissed after the board came out.

Cel 533 - 256mb sdram
!