Sign in with
Your question

How to increase CHIPSET voltage?

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2001 11:16:27 AM

Dear experts

My A7V default chipet voltage the VIO only regsiter 3.4V when its supposed to be 3.56V

when I jumper it to 3.69V it only came out 3.59V

I am thinking of cutting one of the ATX 3.3V supply and stick-in one of the 5V supply into it.

Which 3.3V should I cut? what other components are connected to the path together with the chipset? i.e. AGP, CPU I/O etc, is there any other?

Of course I am not going to stick-in all 5V, will use a (diode) of some kind to reduce it to say 4V or 3.8V then stick-it-in.

any help appreciated! thanks !

Best regards
cx5
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2001 2:39:58 PM

Hi,

wow, you're brave :o ) Maybe try and post this on HardOCP

Good luck d00d!

Mootin

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mootin on 01/23/01 11:41 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
January 23, 2001 3:43:36 PM

Some power supplies supply 3.3V and some supply 3.5V. I've never had a problem with either before, they all seem to work.

I wouldn't change it unless you are 100% sure it is giving you a problem (and if you do change it use a resistor not a diode to drop the voltage down). If you think it is that out of whack I'd just buy a new better quality power supply.

- JW
Related resources
January 23, 2001 7:18:37 PM

Sorry, I've supported computers for years but I have never been a technician. I thought the PSU only supplies +-5 V and +-12V. Aren't the other voltages, like 3.3, derived on the motherboard?
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2001 9:13:42 PM

ATX has 3.3v as well, your thinking of the old AT power supplies.

Suicide is painless...........
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2001 9:47:50 AM

Haha, sorry you are wrong!

Resistors can reduce voltage at the expense of current AMPS and heat dissipation

There is a kind of diode called ZENER diode which reduce voltage but does not take current nor produce heat, haha

I wouldn't blame you because I assume you did not study EEE

And you are absolutely right, just for fun!

Best regards
cx5
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2001 9:50:27 AM

No, if you get a branded power supply you will be able to see the listing of all V i.e.

+12, -12, +5, -5, +3.3, -3.3 and the exact current each section can supply

This is where you work out if all your hardware's Voltage and Current sum together what wattage you need and on which supply line..bla bla bla

Best regards
cx5
January 24, 2001 3:11:08 PM

Hey thanks, fcchin (and all).

I never had a powersupply fail on one of my computers so I never read the information on it. My previous computer had an old AT style PSU and it is still running (14 years). I think I will check out my new PSU now that you have me curious.

Just tried but I'll have to do it later. The info is on top of the PSU and not visible in the case.
!