output of one antenna when other is off

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
November 15, 2004 3:47:13 PM

My specific case is a Netgear WG302 with two ANT24D18s. The secondary is
turned off at the moment.

Does the total output of the WAP drop with one antenna off or is the
full transmit output sent thru the remaining antenna?

Larry

More about : output antenna

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 15, 2004 7:00:10 PM

"Larry Riffle" <spamtrap47@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> My specific case is a Netgear WG302 with two ANT24D18s. The
secondary is
> turned off at the moment.
>
> Does the total output of the WAP drop with one antenna off or is the
> full transmit output sent thru the remaining antenna?
>
> Larry

The two antennas are called diversety antennas. They are used to help
reduce multipath interference. The AP selects the antenna with the
best signal and uses the same one to transmit back to the client.
Now...........the throughput may drop if using only one if you are
having multipath interference but the total output remains the same.
It only uses 1 antenna at a time and both will have the same output if
they both have the same gain.