UNKNOWN PROBLEM!!! PLS HELP!!!

Vincentkhm

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
After running 3D Mark 2000, computer hangs. I reset the computer. After self-test, the computer suddenly turns off. When I switch back the computer, nothing display and cannot begin self-test. I've built this computer /w following hardware in Tuesday: (I have not O/C)
Abit KT7A
AMD TB 850
Buffulo PC-133 128 MB RAM
Inno3D GeForce 2 MX
FOP 32 Fan Heat Sink
PowerMax 300W ATX Power
And my CPU's temperature is 39'C, is it OK?

G

Hi,

The Tbird Athlon max temp is 95 degrees C (90 for a Duron), so you're well under that (source: AMD website). Try using different applications e.g. Quake3 on looping timedemo, seti@home - try to find if the system crashes only when using 3D apps or just when it's been heavily used.

Another thing to try is doing a fresh install of Windows on a different HD/partition with only minimal cards and drivers installed.

HTH

<font color=blue>Mootin</font color=blue>

Oewyn

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
I know this kind of seems elementary, but is your heatsink properly attached to your cpu, there might be a small covering over your heatsink, that you must remove before the heatsink will come in complete contact w/ the processor. Similar thing happened to me when i built my first computer.

Also, you have an athlon heatsink, don't you??? if you don't, immediately stop trying to boot your computer, it will fry the processor VERY, VERY Quickly<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Oewyn on 01/24/01 09:11 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Vincentkhm

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
After I remove the white sticker under the heat sink, I can see a pink sticky thing, I have not remove it. Do I have to remove it?

Oewyn

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
hmm. . . does it look like a paste??? could be thermal paste. . . okay, after you removed the sticker, put it back in, does it still freeze???