Duron M/B?

G

Hi,

I think I've nearly figured the specs out for a new system (first new one in 3 years =)). Duron 800, Leadtek Winfast GeForce 2 MX, 128 meg PC 133 SDRAM, etc.. However, I still haven't figured out what mother board to use. Obviously, I need a Socket A mother board, but from what I've read (on both Asus's and Aopen's sites), the boards only support generally from 500 to 1000+ MHz (I'd really like to know what the '+' means...).

My plan is to upgrade the CPU in another 12 months (not the M/B), so I'd prefer a M/B that will support a 1.5 GHz Duron/TBird at least. I don't know much about hardware, so I'm definately *not* gunna OC it, but I heard as if you can just drop in a new CPU fairly easily.

What's the general maximum CPU speed different brand Socket As can support these days?

Also, I'd prefer a M/B without inbuilt sound/video too, cause I'm getting the GF2MX, and a seperate sound card. Any suggestions on a board? (considering this, and the speed preference mentioned above)

Thanks for any help!

-Git

G

Hi,

I think the 1000+ is the mobo peeps saying that the mobo will run faster than currently available version of the chip. I currently have an Asus P2B-LS that was originally rated for up to PII-400+, it runs my Celery 500 (and my m8's 633 in his P2B) no problem.

So as long as they don't decide to change the socket the CPU...

As for which mobo to use...everyone's got their favourites :O) I like Asus and Abit boards for their stability and flexibility. Personally, I'm waiting for 760 chipset to be widely available as I'm going for DDR, but the current crop of Asus & Abit KT133A based mobos look good.

By the way, built-in sound/video chips don't usually add that much to the cost of the board, and can always be disabled.

HTH

<font color=blue>Mootin</font color=blue>