dfoisy

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2001
I want to bye a new system based on an Athlon 800 on an A7V motherboard...is it a goog choice?
Is this motherboard quite future proof?
What about DDR issues?

Thanks for any suggestions...

Dan

G

It's good even though it has some issues with the VIA chipset, but forget about DDR with this board as it doesn't support it. You'll have to get a board with AMD760, ALi MagiK 1 or VIA KT266 chipsets (to name those three) for DDR support.

- Better go Green than Blue!

G

I got that board and I got the abit kt7. What I don't like about these is the loss of an IRQ to the ata100 controller. I think the newer ones give back this irq.

Right now I would probably be looking at ak73 Pro or 1394 or MSI K7T Proo 2a or the MSI K7 Master.

There are a couple other new ones out there too. Look at Tom's or AnandTech for some new reviews.

dfoisy

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2001
Excuse my ignorance but what are ak73 Pro and 1394 and MSI K7T Master ect.?....my guess is that they are ddr supported MBs, am i right?

G

No. They don't support DDR. They support regular SDR.

AOpen AK73 and MicroStar K7T Master are build with VIA KT133 chipset supporting 133Mhz FSB.

- Better go Green than Blue!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Shazam on 01/24/01 12:29 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

You should be looking at the A7M266 if you want DDR. Its coming out in the next few weeks.

G

I personally love my A7V and athalon 900, I built the system about 2 months ago. I figure eventually there will be a lot more out there for DDR, and with many options comes better price. I decided to wait until later for DDR and I do love the system. Also, I have yet to have a single issue with it.
Good Luck,
Loki

G

IF your looking for the MOST upgradeablity then shoot for ASUS A7V133 with DDR Support. But seeing how DDR is very expensive and far from being in this market I think that by the time DDR hits and makes a signifant difference in computer performance we will most likely be in a new class of computers. Look at how often INTEL or AMD release a chipset supporting all the cool features like VCM or 200mhz FSB only to release a new cpu on a new socket I.E. Slot A athlon switching to the socket A to break the 900mhz and above barriers. I have been running 900 athlon on the A7V for about 5 months with 512mb PC133 running at 133 and its FAST And i build computers all day long at work.