WiMAX question

I work for a company in Sweden and I was on the phone with a distributor of
Proxim equipment this morning that didn't know much more than I did about
WiMAX. We're looking to place a point-to-multipoint antenna on our roof
to backhaul surrounding companys' data for testing purposes.

Their representative told me that Proxim does not currently offer 3.5 or
5.8Ghz
equipment, but rather 5.47Ghz. He also sad that the WiMAX forum will vote
on the supported frequencies by March 2005. He said that 5.47 will probably
be supported.

Does anyone know if this is true? I only heard of WiMAX supporting
frequencies
3.5 & 5.8Ghz.

I don't want to advise my company to dish out tons of money for equipment
that will need to be ripped out in 4 months.

John Edwards wrote:

> I work for a company in Sweden and I was on the phone with a distributor
> of Proxim equipment this morning that didn't know much more than I did
> about WiMAX. We're looking to place a point-to-multipoint antenna on our
> roof to backhaul surrounding companys' data for testing purposes.
>
> Their representative told me that Proxim does not currently offer 3.5 or
> 5.8Ghz
> equipment, but rather 5.47Ghz. He also sad that the WiMAX forum will vote
> on the supported frequencies by March 2005. He said that 5.47 will
> probably be supported.
>
> Does anyone know if this is true? I only heard of WiMAX supporting
> frequencies
> 3.5 & 5.8Ghz.
>
> I don't want to advise my company to dish out tons of money for equipment
> that will need to be ripped out in 4 months.
Well the first thing to do is to check with the agency that regulates
such things in Sweden to see what it legal there. If does not matter what
the forum vote on if your government won't let you use it.

David

Tim

I suggest you make it a written condition of purchase that the supplier will
guarantee the system you purchase meets the appropriate standards when they
are ratified. This may necessitate firmware update, and / or hardware
re-working, or replacement - at the suppliers cost. If they are confident in
their claims then this should not be an issue for them. Hand in hand they
get the benefit of a "Beta" tester, you may get a close relationship with
the supplier.... If you are not experienced in this scenario IE you do not
understand technology, programming, etc. etc. etc. then you are probably
best off to look else where or hold off.

+ what David said.

- Tim