Exceeding system requirements....still lags

I recently built a pc and though my rig greatly exceeds system requirements for many games it lags.
for instance:
bioshock 2
battlfield:bad company 2
starcraft 2
even games like-
oblivion
& company of heroes.

I played mass effect 2 and there were no problems, but most other games to experience problems despite having better than recommended hardware.

nvidia 9800gt 1GB
intel i5 750-lynnfield
4gb ddr3 ram
1tb samsung 7,200
MSI MS-7638
windows 7 ultimate 64
Reply to botpush
12 answers Last reply
More about exceeding system requirements still lags
  1. whoops meant to include the windows 7 in the specs not the games....
    Reply to botpush
  2. Power supply?
    Reply to Herr_Koos
  3. What about drivers are they up to date??
    Reply to rocky41
  4. what settings are you using and what resolution?
    Reply to mi1ez
  5. When you say lag, do you mean the framrate suddenly drops from 50-60 to around 30? Unless it goes to 5-15 suddenly and stays that way for a few seconds it may just be common.
    Reply to dalta centauri
  6. 700w ocz stealth extreme
    I should be able to run some of these at their highest settings. but even when i've gone down to medium and even low settings i still get a good deal of lag
    Reply to botpush
  7. Try using different drivers.
    Reply to rocky41
  8. trash the junk video card. the days of COD4 type games are over.
    Reply to swifty_morgan
  9. Check for latest gpu driver, also a gpu upgrade might be necessary.
    Reply to 55Range
  10. swifty_morgan said:
    trash the junk video card. the days of COD4 type games are over.

hey, that is the video card that I have: I wouldnt call it junk (LOL). However, I have only an E4500 CPU at stock and run at 1440x900, so the video card is a good match for the system.

However, the OP should definitely get a better video card to go with his cpu. Maybe something like a GTX460 1gb or Radeon HD 6870.
    Reply to frozentundra123456
  11. His video card is not the problem. I have the same issue, but my GPU doesn't even heat up when I play some games like Bad Company 2 and Black Ops. Crysis and Crysis 2 run smoothly on extreme settings, but the games with terrible graphics run like sh*t. MW2 runs smoothly, Halo 2 lags even though it is outdated, and my rig GREATLY exceeds the recommended system requirements for every game.
    Reply to qpstrafe
  12. I'm having the same issue. My PC exceeds recommended specs and games lag...even the computer lags every now and then. Ive got an AMD Athalon II 640 quad-core, 8g RAM and an inboard Radeon HD4200.

Ive checked the drivers, they're all up to date and I'm running Windows 10.
    Reply to kdarosa
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

PC gaming Games Video Games