Your question

Low frame rates on WoW on fairly new computer

Last response: in Video Games
January 19, 2011 4:48:32 AM

Hello,

My computer specs:

AMD Phenom 9600 Quad Core, overclocked to 2.42 GHz
4 gigs of ram
brand new 500 gig hard drive windows 7 32 (I have access to the 64 bit download but that's a whole separate issue I'm having trying to install it)
brand new GTS 450 video card

So my computer should be able to handle WoW on at least "good" settings at a decent frame rate, right? And I do... When I'm flying around, wherever, I can get up to 50-60 fps. When I start 25 man content though, and there's a highly graphics-intensive fight, such as Omnitron Defense System or Twin Dragons in Bastion, my fps drops to 1-5.

Someone mentioned I should try running without any addons, as my problem seems very specific. Obviously I needed one or two, but the fps increased a little when I disabled the rest. I could function, but I was still below 15.

The deal with the new hard drive was to rule out one potential source of CPU overload. My old hard drive was running at 70-85% constantly due to me stupidly trying to upgrade Windows improperly and running into issues. I popped in a new one, installed Windows 7 and like 2 other programs.. no improvement in FPS in WoW.

Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
January 19, 2011 5:10:46 AM

I would lay first blame at your CPU's door. The Phenom I series was never that great, and 2.4 GHz is quite a low clock speed as well. You could try monitoring your CPU usage in the background while gaming to verify if this is the case.
m
l
January 20, 2011 2:23:43 PM

Turn shadows to their lowest setting and check your latency. Also try turning your view distance down some and make sure that multisampling is at it's lowest setting as well. I agree with the previous poster as well, your CPU is a bit on the slow side. Turning settings down could help a great deal. Most players turn settings back when in raids or PvP settings anyway to increase performance.
m
l
!