Low frame rates on WoW on fairly new computer

My computer specs:

AMD Phenom 9600 Quad Core, overclocked to 2.42 GHz
4 gigs of ram
brand new 500 gig hard drive windows 7 32 (I have access to the 64 bit download but that's a whole separate issue I'm having trying to install it)
brand new GTS 450 video card

So my computer should be able to handle WoW on at least "good" settings at a decent frame rate, right? And I do... When I'm flying around, wherever, I can get up to 50-60 fps. When I start 25 man content though, and there's a highly graphics-intensive fight, such as Omnitron Defense System or Twin Dragons in Bastion, my fps drops to 1-5.

Someone mentioned I should try running without any addons, as my problem seems very specific. Obviously I needed one or two, but the fps increased a little when I disabled the rest. I could function, but I was still below 15.

The deal with the new hard drive was to rule out one potential source of CPU overload. My old hard drive was running at 70-85% constantly due to me stupidly trying to upgrade Windows improperly and running into issues. I popped in a new one, installed Windows 7 and like 2 other programs.. no improvement in FPS in WoW.

Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
2 answers Last reply
More about frame rates fairly computer
  1. I would lay first blame at your CPU's door. The Phenom I series was never that great, and 2.4 GHz is quite a low clock speed as well. You could try monitoring your CPU usage in the background while gaming to verify if this is the case.
  2. Turn shadows to their lowest setting and check your latency. Also try turning your view distance down some and make sure that multisampling is at it's lowest setting as well. I agree with the previous poster as well, your CPU is a bit on the slow side. Turning settings down could help a great deal. Most players turn settings back when in raids or PvP settings anyway to increase performance.
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Computers World Of Warcraft Video Games