Can I use 8 IDE units on my A7V??

G

I just got my ASUS A7V. I never realised that there was actually FOUR IDE connectors on the board. Can I use them all at the same time? I mean, can I have 8 IDE units connected to the mobo at the same time?

On Asus' homepage, it says "2 DMA/100 & 2 DMA/66".

I'm confused. Please help.

/Fritte

G

hehe, yep a bit confusing (=

but _yes_ u can use 8 ide units, 4 ATA100 and 4 ATA66
on the asus page they proberly mean 2 of both connectors.

uncoando

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You can try.
get a pci ide contoller and make it 4 more...

only put udma 5 hdds on the ATA/100 controllers. relegate the cdrs/dvds to the slightly-less-super-phast ATA/66 controller.

windows will treat the faster controller as a scsi device.
(sometimes wanting to fight sb live dos drivers for occupancy of irq5)
the native controller is the primary/secondary ide hd controller
boot from scsi/add-on/ata100

life is better with integrated controllers
and there's 2 you did'nt expect. that's pure happy circumstance!

<b><font color=blue>Brainy Sturgeon</b></font color=blue>

G

You have to be careful how many partitions there are altogether. I've had problems when I started to exceed 16 partitions in total (including any attached cdroms). When I brought the total down below 16, I was able to get at all of them.

It is possible this is a nuance of the Promise controller. There are known problems with this controller and certain software.

igottaknife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
some of these posts might confuse you. IDE5 = ATA100
the onboard promise controller will support four drives it is highly reccomended that you only put ATA 100's on these connection, everything else on the ATA66 channels. Make sure your power supply is up to the task

This new forum sucks

G

That is correct. And that's how it was setup. But as I started to create more and more partitions I started to get "bad fat table" errors, even though there was no problem with the fat table. (I would remove a drive and check each partition only to find it was clean ). At this point the cdroms stopped responding to the point that the eject button would not work. The error seemed to correlate directly to the number of partitions. Once I trimmed back the number of partitions, the errors went away and everything worked.

As I heard from a noted software developer support technician, there have been a lot of problems with the Promise controller and it's use of the ata 100 (or ata 66) interface.

PS is at 450w.