EVE Online Need Answers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_ColonelCommisar

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Ok, I've been eyeing EVE on Newegg for $20 bucks and it looks really sick, I was wondering if there was a monthly fee and how much that was. Also what the gameplay is like and all those juicy details... thanks!

Von Death

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

I'm going to lay it out in a easy to read question and answer format.

Question: How complex is Eve?
Answer: The single most complex online computer game known to man.

Question: How do I win?
Answer: You do not win.

Question: Fine, how do I have fun?
Answer: You have fun by starting the game 4 years ago, having several alts, and being apart of an already majority corporation not in danger of eradication at any moment.

Question: Ok, but there are safe areas where my ship can't get blown up, right?
Answer: No, your ship can be blown up anywhere, you are powerless to stop it, and you watch in horror while the other players steal your gear off your dead ship.

Question: Really?
Answer: Yes.

Question: If it is really such a terrible game, why do people play it?
Answer: Because powerful players are allowed to do almost anything in this game, and they take great pleasure in totally domineering newer and less experienced players.

Question: Ok you sound really biased. It can't be that bad, I heard you can buy insurance for your clone and ships so that you don't really lose money or experience.
Answer: Except for when you undock from a secure station to drive your newly purchased battleship that you've spent 32 days mining asteroids in mind-numbing boredom to buy so that you can test fly it with your new shiney armaments, and a huge group of pirates attack you all at once and kill you before you can redock, and then you realize you made the mistake of not having clone insurace, so that you lose both experience and money.

Question: Yeah but that was your fault.
Answer: Yeah but imagine playing WoW and losing a level and all your epic gear at the same time, and then someone else telling you it's your fault.

Question: Ok, what IS good about Eve?
Answer: The economy is extremely realistic, and teaches you real world business skills. Every item in the game but skilbooks (for learning new skills) is produced by it's players (minerals are mined, ships, items, and ammo manufactured using minerals) Also the music is soothing.

Question: Based purely on emotions, what was your overall experience playing Eve?
Answer: I had some pretty good highs, especially when in a few fleet battles with over 150 people (a breathtaking experience), but almost nothing, hardly even in real life, has filled me with more rage than several moments in this game.

Question: I'm playing this game anyway, any tips?
Answer: Never trust anyone. Never fly ships you can't afford to buy 2 or more. Play with no less than 4 close friends.

Also, be prepared to be utterly stumped by the huge volume of unintelligible vernacular you will encounter when in game chat. The game has evolved so far that even after almost two years playing I still ran into items and concepts I had not encountered before. If I had to boil Eve down to one thing it would be this

Eve: you are not safe.

Captainhero

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
The learning curve is enormous, as someone said before trust no-one (except corp mates, and even then dont give them acess to your stuffs), dont fly what you cannot afford to lose. But you can have fun a week into the game. Learn to probe (scan people down doing missions) fly in and salvage their lewts, they dont like this so the will probably lock and fire (if they are stupid) you can then either A) get under their guns and ransom them for lotsa isk, or B) fly back to station get a better ship then come back up and blow them up. Well that is high-sec games (just goes to show you arent safe anywhere), alternately low-sec can be a life of piracy and yarrr which I love. If you get into a half decent corp you make yourself usefull as a tackler within 1 or 2 days (you hold a ship in place and the bigger boys come along and smash em up), you can also mine, trade, etc, but what is the point in that? You are in a spaceship with lasers and you can blow other people up, get pewpewing!

Question: Ok you sound really biased. It can't be that bad, I heard you can buy insurance for your clone and ships so that you don't really lose money or experience.
Answer: Except for when you undock from a secure station to drive your newly purchased battleship that you've spent 32 days mining asteroids in mind-numbing boredom to buy so that you can test fly it with your new shiney armaments, and a huge group of pirates attack you all at once and kill you before you can redock, and then you realize you made the mistake of not having clone insurace, so that you lose both experience and money.

I did that with my Customized Drake once; 60ms shield recharge time with shields near battleship strength and >80% all resists. Didn't realize corp went to war, and left station in front of 5 enemy battleships. Got webbed, and lost months of investment. [Tech II fittings were IMPOSSIBLE to get back then; had to pay a guy to steal a few from a BOB transport...]

1st rule of EVE: If you can't afford to lose it, don't fly with it.

Another tip:

Ammarr ships use laser weapons. One advantage of this is you don't have to sort through and carry large quantities of ammo. They aren't "more powerful" but the ammo thing is a big plus with some folks, and some would argue that Ammarr ships ARE in fact superior. I disagree, but meh, each to his own.

Except Armarr ships have CRAP capacitors which you need to power your buffs, and lazers are the weakest weapon type. So yes, you save on ammo. You lose on ship defenses and damage. Unless the Armarr have been TOTALLY re-designed, they stink. the only build that makes sense is a passive armor tank...

Captainhero

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
A couple of awesome eve blogs for inspiration -
http://www.mylootyourtears.com/ - carebear tears overflowing
http://ladyshaniqua.blogspot.com/ - written in a kind of pissed chav style but quite funny
Get filling that tear jar Mr!

mwohrlin

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010
I used to play Eve Online when all of my friends used to play and it was awesome. Once all my friends have moved on to other MMO's, the game was virtually impossible to play. I have since moved on as well. I miss it. CCP has pretty much gone out of their way to eliminate solo players. If you do figure out how to play by yourself, I have one word for you. "Boring". So if you want to play EVE Online, get yourself into a big corporation that will be willing to hold your hand for a while.

chrisiomuk

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
Its not that hard to get into and newer players can easily find a place to thrive however it is a social game and joining a good starter corporation is the way forward, bear in mind that with the retail copy of eve you do get a full 30 days access to the game and in this time you can join a corporation and learn from other experienced members where with the trial you cannot join corps.

mwohrlin

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010
I know they take pride in the single server design. I give them credit for that. I just wish there was a way to go into 0.0 space without being forced into PVP.

mwohrlin

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010

Wow. A lot has changed since I last played. I wasn't even aware you could do that. Sounds very cool. Is there a way you can do that if you are a solo player though? I really liked Mining and manufacturing when I played. I just wanted the opportunity to mine the good stuff without getting ganked.

mwohrlin

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010

Ahh, I see. Still sounds very cool. I may have to reactivate my account. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.