Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Need to limit FPS in Crysis to 30

Last response: in Video Games
January 19, 2011 8:27:01 PM

Hi.

I'm currently having some problems with a component in my computer and it always seems to happen when my 470's reach a certain fan speed/temperature in Crysis and various other games so now I want to force my framerate to about 30fps.

I found out I could temporarily fix the problem by using fraps and limiting the FPS to 30 while recording which lowered temps on both cards to around 80, but that took up terabytes of space for something like half a hour of gameplay.

So I need a more permanent solution, and that solution (until I get this problem resolved) will be to limit Crysis to 30fps or lower.

Framerates normally hover around 40-60fps with vsync on but until i sort it out i won't be seeing the beauty of crysis for a while, nor will i be able to finish my map :( 

More about : limit fps crysis

January 20, 2011 4:25:37 AM

Increase your aa level and the frames will automatically drop the lower rate.
Score
January 20, 2011 7:15:31 AM

You never explained what the problem is, or which component is affected. More detail please?
Score
Related resources
January 20, 2011 10:10:53 AM

It should have worked with the Vsync ON, guess it didn't. Anyways could you give us some more info about your PC and at what settings you are playing Crysis.
Score
January 20, 2011 5:19:33 PM

You can underclock your video card.
Score
January 21, 2011 9:50:26 PM

Try going to customize under the resolution selector in the Nvidia control panel and selecting one of the 29hz HDTV resolutions and then enabling Vsync in the game. I have no idea if it will work or not but worth a try.
Score

Best solution

January 21, 2011 9:55:46 PM

And BTW if your "component problem" is a failing or inadequate power supply it is remotely possible that you will damage other things by continuing to use it.

January 28, 2011 11:01:21 PM

Hi, I forgot to list my specifications:

Phenom II x4 955BE stock
GTX470 SLI stock speeds
Antec tpq 1000W PSU (more than enough)
Case is a Antec twelve hundred

I found that my GPU's are the problem, i grabbed a 6850 from ebay and it works fine, both of my 470's (one at a time) crash the computer after 10-15 minutes into crysis.

I just need to find a way to keep them working at a predictable load so I can test them further, I'm looking at aftermarket coolers because my guess is they don't like hovering around 86C when I'm playing games.
Score
February 8, 2011 3:45:57 AM

benski said:
And BTW if your "component problem" is a failing or inadequate power supply it is remotely possible that you will damage other things by continuing to use it.

Thanks it turns out it IS a faulty TPQ 1000W, I'll replace it ASAP and use my backup desktop (gotta love redundancy's you can fall back to).
Score
February 8, 2011 3:47:08 AM

Best answer selected by joytech22.
Score
February 8, 2011 3:40:44 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!