My gaming RIG and performance

aviral1990

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
Hello,
I just have got a new core2duo e7500 processor and already have 2gb ddr2 ram ,9800gt card. I was really tight on budget,so i cudnt afford a beter processor/motherbard. Now i kow,its not one of the best gaming hpc rigs,but i just wanna know that when i play games like gta4,nfs hot pursuit 2010 or spiderman web of shadows..the game runs smooth mostly but there are places where FPS drops for sometime and gets back normal,usually at such places my hard disk red light kinda goes crazy. I understand this problem is ok with GTA 4, but shud there be FPS drops with NFS or spiderman web of shadows or even call of duty black ops? is it normal or some tweaking needs to be done,like increasing page file or hard disk bottleneck..or something?
thanks

Von Death

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Ok, I kind of understood what you were asking, but in the future sentences like "the game runs smooth mostly but there are places where FPS drops for sometime and gets back normal,usually at such places my hard disk red light kinda goes crazy." should instead sound more like "the game generally runs smooth, but occasionally it lags up; when that happens, the hard disk red light kinda goes crazy."

Some quick suggestions of things to do before we go any further. Update your graphics card drivers to the latest version. Rerun games and see if the lag still exists. If lag still exists, Ctrl Alt Del and bring up task manager. Play the game, and when a lag moment happens, Alt tab and, under the "Performance" tab, see if your memory (RAM) and/or CPU resources are maxed out. If they are, that's your problem. (I.E. if your Memory usage bar (your RAM) bar is at 100%, that must be your bottleneck).

Your hard drive is never the bottleneck when gaming *edit* except when loading new areas/levels.