Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Screen size and resolution for gaming with this rig

Last response: in Video Games
Share
January 20, 2011 7:11:36 PM

Hey guys, I wonder if you could help me with this. I'm getting an intel i5-2400 and a nvidia GTX 460 1gb. So what screen size and resolution should I get, so I would still be able to play games with fairly high settings and at the native resolution?
a b 4 Gaming
January 20, 2011 7:47:12 PM

It would depend on the game. The COD games are DX9 and will play with that card at high res and high settings. A DX10 or DX11 game would tax the video card and you'd have to turn your settings down. Perhaps a 22" at 1680x1050 would suffice for many games with that card, but settings would have to be adjusted depending on the game. 1920x1200 I wouldn't touch that card because I'd expect too much from it.
January 20, 2011 8:08:08 PM

What about the Full HD resolution? 1920x1080? Or does that doesnt look as good as 1680x1050?
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
January 21, 2011 3:09:58 AM

More real estate ( bigger monitor ) is always better but while gaming most people probably wouldn't notice too much difference as far as what you might see. But remember, the higher res means your card will work harder.














January 21, 2011 9:24:05 PM

I think I would go for the 1680x1050 but there seems to be only monitors of 22 inches with that native resolution. And I heard that the 22 inch ones arent very good because of the nt-something, like the technology. Is that true?
January 21, 2011 9:25:41 PM

And also, is 1920x1080 not a good resolution for gaming? Because on any benches I look at, they never test the games at that res. Is 1920x1200 better for gaming?
a b 4 Gaming
January 22, 2011 1:03:33 AM

I started with a 19" CRT with a 3.4 aspect ratio. Gamed with it for 5 years. I bought a 22" wide screen.... 16.9. Going from the 19" to the 22" was awesome for me. Everything looked much better and clearer. However, the aspect ratio seemed to have lopped off the top 2" of screen ( gaming ) compared to the 22. I lived with that so could you. The 1920x1080 is pretty decent for gaming also. Same aspect ratio I think. Both of these would be an improvement if you are gaming.net browsing with a smaller screen. I currently game with a 28" 1920x1200 res screen. The aspect ratio is 16.10. Got my 2" back that were lopped off after my last upgrade. Whatever you choose I think you'll be happy with. If you have a 17" or 19" you'll be amazed.
January 22, 2011 9:12:18 AM

Right now I have a laptop, so I think my mind will be blown with whatever I choose ;D
a b 4 Gaming
January 22, 2011 3:15:55 PM

rapolitas said:
I think I would go for the 1680x1050 but there seems to be only monitors of 22 inches with that native resolution. And I heard that the 22 inch ones arent very good because of the nt-something, like the technology. Is that true?


You are referring to TN panel technology. TN panels can be found in all monitor sizes except 30" monitors. These panels are found in many inexpensive monitors and in all laptops with the exception of HP's "DreamColor" line of laptops which start's at $2,000 for a basic model (it uses an H-IPS panel). If colors looks okay to you on your laptop, then I guess you can just buy a TN panel monitor.

If you want something larger than 22", then you will have to accept 1920 x 1080 or 1920 x 1200 resolution.

Other panel tech types are VA and IPS, but they costs more to manufacture and will mean a more expensive monitor. Monitors using an e-IPS panel are relatively inexpensive and competes with TN panels on price (still a little more expensive though). Colors are better and viewing angles are better. I prefer IPS monitors.

January 22, 2011 4:07:16 PM

jaguarskx said:
You are referring to TN panel technology. TN panels can be found in all monitor sizes except 30" monitors. These panels are found in many inexpensive monitors and in all laptops with the exception of HP's "DreamColor" line of laptops which start's at $2,000 for a basic model (it uses an H-IPS panel). If colors looks okay to you on your laptop, then I guess you can just buy a TN panel monitor.

If you want something larger than 22", then you will have to accept 1920 x 1080 or 1920 x 1200 resolution.

Other panel tech types are VA and IPS, but they costs more to manufacture and will mean a more expensive monitor. Monitors using an e-IPS panel are relatively inexpensive and competes with TN panels on price (still a little more expensive though). Colors are better and viewing angles are better. I prefer IPS monitors.



Whats the best monitor for gaming, though? I mean, which panel? I'm looking for a monitor up to 24 inches. And which resolution is better for gaming? 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 or 1680x1050?? My CPU will probably be intel i5-2400 or
Phenom II X4 970 BE and GPU is GTX 460 or HD 6950 2GB
a b 4 Gaming
January 23, 2011 12:58:37 PM

Basically, the higher the resolution, the more GPU power it will need. This should not be an issue with the GTX 460 or HD 6950. I would prefer going with 1GB instead of 2GB since 2GB is not useful unless you are playing at higher resolution like 2560 x 1440 or you are using Eyefinity.

Most gamers prefer TN panel monitors because they are fast (2ms), low input lag (typically less than 16ms or 0.5 frame), and are cheap.

I prefer 1920 x 1200, but those monitors are becoming harder to find. For most games the difference between 1920x 1200 and 1920 x 1080 is that you loose some viewing height in the game. However, in StarCraft 2 you actually get slightly different zoom; 1920 x 1080 is a little zoomed out so that you see more of the game field.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6251839/index.html

As for which TN monitor is best for gaming I guess that depends on the person. The only TN panel monitor which I have experience with is the 1920 x 1080 Asus VK246H (same as VW246H, but with built-in webcam).

The VK246H is currently selling for $200 + free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The VW246H is currently selling for $200 + $9 shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You can read my review:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/58336-3-official-flat...
January 23, 2011 3:55:13 PM

jaguarskx said:
Basically, the higher the resolution, the more GPU power it will need. This should not be an issue with the GTX 460 or HD 6950. I would prefer going with 1GB instead of 2GB since 2GB is not useful unless you are playing at higher resolution like 2560 x 1440 or you are using Eyefinity.

Most gamers prefer TN panel monitors because they are fast (2ms), low input lag (typically less than 16ms or 0.5 frame), and are cheap.

I prefer 1920 x 1200, but those monitors are becoming harder to find. For most games the difference between 1920x 1200 and 1920 x 1080 is that you loose some viewing height in the game. However, in StarCraft 2 you actually get slightly different zoom; 1920 x 1080 is a little zoomed out so that you see more of the game field.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6251839/index.html

As for which TN monitor is best for gaming I guess that depends on the person. The only TN panel monitor which I have experience with is the 1920 x 1080 Asus VK246H (same as VW246H, but with built-in webcam).

The VK246H is currently selling for $200 + free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The VW246H is currently selling for $200 + $9 shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You can read my review:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/58336-3-official-flat...


I read the review, and it seems to be a very decent monitor. Only I am looking for 1920x1200, if possible. Ive been looking around quite a lot, but still haven't found a clear winner. I got about 300 dollars to spend. Please recommend, if you got any ;]
!