Netgear WGR614 router and 2.4Ghz phone interference

Hi,

I have an older Netgear MR814 802.11b router which is hardwired to my
desktop and I have a laptop which is wirelessly connected to my
laptop. When I use a 2.4Ghz headset phone (Plantronics CT12), there
are absolutely no issues

Recently I got a good deal on a Netgear WGR614 54Mbps 2.4Ghz router.
It connects fine to my wired desktop and also there are no issues with
the wireless laptop

However on oocasions I am getting dropped signals on the laptop when
I'm using the 2.4Ghz headset phone. The 900Mhz cordless is fine, but I
can't use it for extended periods, since it's just a cordless phone
and not a headset

I called Plantronics and they suggested I power down the phone and
power it back up again to pick up a different frequency. That doesn't
seem to work

I called Netgear and they suggested I change the channel on the
router. Previously it was set to 11. I was told that the 3 minimal
interferance channels were 1, 6 and 11. With 6 being the optimal

I left it on 6 and it seems to have reduced the amount of interference
and dropped signals, but it still happens. This is annoying since a
dropped signal also means I'm kicked out of any network applications
and if I'm in the midst of a network conference call, I have to
interrupt my meetings and reboot

Has anyone faced this problem with the Netgeear router and what steps
have you taken to solve the problem ?

As a possibility, I could return the headset and 'downgrade' to a
900Mhz headset i.e Plantronics CT10. I don't think I can do much more
with the router settings, but let me know

I've resorted to dialling the phone as far away from the laptop as
possible. That's ok to a degree, but if I'm close to the laptop (which
I have to be) then the dropped signals seem to occur again. The router
is upstairs and my calls are always taken downstairs, but I need to be
close to the laptop when I'm using the phone

Help !!!

Thanks
Richard
2 answers Last reply
More about netgear wgr614 router 4ghz phone interference

    Richard,
    I'm having the same issues with my Linksys WRT54G router. It came set to
    channel 6. I couldn't use my Sony cordless system at all without immediately
    disconnecting the laptop. Changing it to channel 1 vastly improved the
    situation. Like you however, I still have some frustrating disconnect
    issues.

    I'm starting to think the only answer is a 5.8 ghz phone system.

    Jon

    "Richard" <richfei@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an older Netgear MR814 802.11b router which is hardwired to my
    > desktop and I have a laptop which is wirelessly connected to my
    > laptop. When I use a 2.4Ghz headset phone (Plantronics CT12), there
    > are absolutely no issues
    >
    > Recently I got a good deal on a Netgear WGR614 54Mbps 2.4Ghz router.
    > It connects fine to my wired desktop and also there are no issues with
    > the wireless laptop
    >
    > However on oocasions I am getting dropped signals on the laptop when
    > I'm using the 2.4Ghz headset phone. The 900Mhz cordless is fine, but I
    > can't use it for extended periods, since it's just a cordless phone
    > and not a headset
    >
    > I called Plantronics and they suggested I power down the phone and
    > power it back up again to pick up a different frequency. That doesn't
    > seem to work
    >
    > I called Netgear and they suggested I change the channel on the
    > router. Previously it was set to 11. I was told that the 3 minimal
    > interferance channels were 1, 6 and 11. With 6 being the optimal
    >
    > I left it on 6 and it seems to have reduced the amount of interference
    > and dropped signals, but it still happens. This is annoying since a
    > dropped signal also means I'm kicked out of any network applications
    > and if I'm in the midst of a network conference call, I have to
    > interrupt my meetings and reboot
    >
    > Has anyone faced this problem with the Netgeear router and what steps
    > have you taken to solve the problem ?
    >
    > As a possibility, I could return the headset and 'downgrade' to a
    > 900Mhz headset i.e Plantronics CT10. I don't think I can do much more
    > with the router settings, but let me know
    >
    > I've resorted to dialling the phone as far away from the laptop as
    > possible. That's ok to a degree, but if I'm close to the laptop (which
    > I have to be) then the dropped signals seem to occur again. The router
    > is upstairs and my calls are always taken downstairs, but I need to be
    > close to the laptop when I'm using the phone
    >
    > Help !!!
    >
    > Thanks
    > Richard

    Wouldn't 5.8 GHz phones interfere with 182.11a?

    I'd like to see a 900 MHz phone system with the neat features
    available on 2.4 and 5.8 phones.

    --
    Chuck Forsberg caf@omen.com www.omen.com 503-614-0430
    Omen Technology Inc "The High Reliability Software"

Routers Netgear Phones Wireless Networking