Netgear WGR614 router and 2.4Ghz phone interference

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
November 15, 2004 7:27:57 PM

Hi,

I have an older Netgear MR814 802.11b router which is hardwired to my
desktop and I have a laptop which is wirelessly connected to my
laptop. When I use a 2.4Ghz headset phone (Plantronics CT12), there
are absolutely no issues

Recently I got a good deal on a Netgear WGR614 54Mbps 2.4Ghz router.
It connects fine to my wired desktop and also there are no issues with
the wireless laptop

However on oocasions I am getting dropped signals on the laptop when
I'm using the 2.4Ghz headset phone. The 900Mhz cordless is fine, but I
can't use it for extended periods, since it's just a cordless phone
and not a headset

I called Plantronics and they suggested I power down the phone and
power it back up again to pick up a different frequency. That doesn't
seem to work

I called Netgear and they suggested I change the channel on the
router. Previously it was set to 11. I was told that the 3 minimal
interferance channels were 1, 6 and 11. With 6 being the optimal

I left it on 6 and it seems to have reduced the amount of interference
and dropped signals, but it still happens. This is annoying since a
dropped signal also means I'm kicked out of any network applications
and if I'm in the midst of a network conference call, I have to
interrupt my meetings and reboot

Has anyone faced this problem with the Netgeear router and what steps
have you taken to solve the problem ?

As a possibility, I could return the headset and 'downgrade' to a
900Mhz headset i.e Plantronics CT10. I don't think I can do much more
with the router settings, but let me know

I've resorted to dialling the phone as far away from the laptop as
possible. That's ok to a degree, but if I'm close to the laptop (which
I have to be) then the dropped signals seem to occur again. The router
is upstairs and my calls are always taken downstairs, but I need to be
close to the laptop when I'm using the phone

Help !!!

Thanks
Richard
November 16, 2004 1:31:23 AM

Richard,
I'm having the same issues with my Linksys WRT54G router. It came set to
channel 6. I couldn't use my Sony cordless system at all without immediately
disconnecting the laptop. Changing it to channel 1 vastly improved the
situation. Like you however, I still have some frustrating disconnect
issues.

I'm starting to think the only answer is a 5.8 ghz phone system.

Jon

"Richard" <richfei@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:D 9b05e41.0411151627.3627c163@posting.google.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have an older Netgear MR814 802.11b router which is hardwired to my
> desktop and I have a laptop which is wirelessly connected to my
> laptop. When I use a 2.4Ghz headset phone (Plantronics CT12), there
> are absolutely no issues
>
> Recently I got a good deal on a Netgear WGR614 54Mbps 2.4Ghz router.
> It connects fine to my wired desktop and also there are no issues with
> the wireless laptop
>
> However on oocasions I am getting dropped signals on the laptop when
> I'm using the 2.4Ghz headset phone. The 900Mhz cordless is fine, but I
> can't use it for extended periods, since it's just a cordless phone
> and not a headset
>
> I called Plantronics and they suggested I power down the phone and
> power it back up again to pick up a different frequency. That doesn't
> seem to work
>
> I called Netgear and they suggested I change the channel on the
> router. Previously it was set to 11. I was told that the 3 minimal
> interferance channels were 1, 6 and 11. With 6 being the optimal
>
> I left it on 6 and it seems to have reduced the amount of interference
> and dropped signals, but it still happens. This is annoying since a
> dropped signal also means I'm kicked out of any network applications
> and if I'm in the midst of a network conference call, I have to
> interrupt my meetings and reboot
>
> Has anyone faced this problem with the Netgeear router and what steps
> have you taken to solve the problem ?
>
> As a possibility, I could return the headset and 'downgrade' to a
> 900Mhz headset i.e Plantronics CT10. I don't think I can do much more
> with the router settings, but let me know
>
> I've resorted to dialling the phone as far away from the laptop as
> possible. That's ok to a degree, but if I'm close to the laptop (which
> I have to be) then the dropped signals seem to occur again. The router
> is upstairs and my calls are always taken downstairs, but I need to be
> close to the laptop when I'm using the phone
>
> Help !!!
>
> Thanks
> Richard
Anonymous
November 17, 2004 1:47:33 PM

Wouldn't 5.8 GHz phones interfere with 182.11a?

I'd like to see a 900 MHz phone system with the neat features
available on 2.4 and 5.8 phones.

--
Chuck Forsberg caf@omen.com www.omen.com 503-614-0430
Omen Technology Inc "The High Reliability Software"